Coach Bill O'Brien has earned an Ivy League degree, mentored future Hall of Famers, and been recognized as college football's coach of the year. However, he'll receive a much different honor this summer when a bobblehead doll featuring his likeness will headline the State College Spikes 2013 fan giveaway schedule.
The Coach O'Brien bobblehead doll giveaway will take place on THON Night, Wednesday, August 28, when the Spikes host the Williamsport Crosscutters (Philadelphia Phillies) at 7:05 p.m. The first 1,500 fans of all ages will take home the item, which will be presented by The Nittany Lion Inn and The Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel and 93.7 THE BUS.
The Spikes will also present a series of three mini-bobblehead dolls honoring Centre County high school graduates who have gone on to play Major League Baseball. The team's "Local Legends Series" will include Bellefonte's Eric Milton (July 17 presented by Northwest Savings Bank and 95.3 FM 3WZ), Philipsburg-Osceola grad and current St. Louis Cardinal Matt Adams (July 31 presented by Beer Belly's and East Coast Health and Fitness), and State College High School graduate Stan Belinda (Aug. 21 presented by T&B Medical). Each player will be depicted in his high school uniform, and the Spikes will host the corresponding Community Night on the evening of each giveaway.
Also highlighting the Spikes' 2013 giveaway slate will be a "Mini-Majors Head-to-Toe Series," which gives kids 12 and under the opportunity to dress like a professional baseball player after collecting a trio of items. Three giveaways will make up the series -- Snap Back Caps (Thursday, July 4 presented by Vision Creative Solutions), Replica Jerseys (Thursday, July 18 presented by Boyles Insurance) and Stirrup Socks (Thursday, Aug. 1 presented by First National Bank).
The Spikes popular "T-Shirt Tuesdays" will also return for a second season. The first 500 fans through the gates for each of the team's four Tuesday home dates (June 25, July 2, July 9 and July 30) will receive a merchandise-quality t-shirt. The July 2nd t-shirt giveaway will accompany the Spikes' popular "Bark in the Park Night," presented by Metzger Animal Hospital and NEWSRADIO 103, and be handed out to the first 500 dog owners in attendance.
The Spikes complete 2013 fan giveaway schedule is listed below:
- June 17: Schedule & Car Magnet (First 2,500 Fans) presented by PSECU & 95.3 FM 3WZ
- June 19: "Super Ike" Action Figurine (First 1,000 Fans)
- June 25: T-Shirt Tuesday Giveaway (First 500 Fans) presented by Penn State Sports Medicine
- July 2: T-Shirt Tuesday Giveaway (First 500 Dog Owners) presented by Metzger Animal Hospital
- July 4: Mini-Majors Head-to-Toe Series Giveaway #1: Youth Snap Back Cap (First 1,000 Kids, 12 & Under) presented by Vision Creative Solutions
- July 5: Spikes Team Poster Giveaway (First 1,000 Fans, All Ages)
- July 9: T-Shirt Tuesday Giveaway (First 500 Fans) presented by P.J. Harrigan's
- July 17: Local Legends Bobblehead Series Giveaway #1: Bellefonte's Eric Milton (First 1,000 Fans) presented by Northwest Savings Bank & 95.3 FM 3WZ
- July 18: Mini-Majors Head-to-Toe Series Giveaway #2: Youth Jersey (First 1,000 Kids, 12 & Under) presented by Boyles Insurance
- July 21: Myrtle Beach Trip Giveaway (Two Lucky Fans, 18 & Over) presented by VisitMyrtleBeach.com & ESPN Radio 1450
- July 30: T-Shirt Tuesday Giveaway (First 500 Fans) presented by BioLife Plasma Services
- July 31: Local Legends Bobblehead Series Giveaway #2: Philipsburg-Osceola's Matt Adams (First 1,000 Fans) presented by Beer Belly's & East Coast Health and Fitness
- August 1: Mini-Majors Head-to-Toe Series Giveaway #3: Youth Stirrup Socks (First 1,000 Kids, 12 & Under) presented by First National Bank
- August 3: Pink Rally Towel Giveaway (First 1,000 Women) presented by Mount Nittany Health
- August 21: Local Legends Bobblehead Series Giveaway #3: State College's Stan Belinda (First 1,000 Fans) presented by T&B Medical
- August 24: Spikes Tailgate Chair Giveaway (First 1,000 Fans) presented by P.J. Harrigan's
- August 28: Coach Bill O'Brien Bobblehead Doll Giveaway (First 1,500 Fans) presented by The Nittany Lion Inn, The Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel & ESPN Radio 1450
The Spikes, the Class-A Short-Season affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals, will open the club's eighth season on Monday, June 17 at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park against the rival Williamsport Crosscutters (Philadelphia Phillies). The Spikes will be home for 38 regular season home dates between June 17 and August 30. Single-game tickets for the 2013 season will go on sale to the public on Friday, April 26 at 4 p.m. Tickets can be purchased in person at the Medlar Field at Lubrano Park Box Office, over the phone at (814) 272-1711, or online at State College Spikes.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.