SPOKANE, Wash. - The Spokane Indians overcame an early 3-0 deficit to snap the Hillsboro Hops' six-game winning streak. A three-run home run by Derwin Barreto led the Indians' offense as Spokane topped Hillsboro, 9-6, in front of 6,733 fans for Spokane Chiefs Hockey & Firework's Night presented by Bulldog Rooter, KHQ, and KEY 101.
- Derwin Barreto 's threerun home run in the third inning was his second long ball of the season. The shortstop finished 2-for-4 with a home run, two runs, and three RBI. It's his third multi-hit game in his last four.
- Threes are wild for Werner Leal! He threw three hitless innings with three strikeouts to pick up his third win of the season. The righthander's ERA continues to drop and is now just 0.64.
- Joe Corbett earned his second save of the season after going three up, three down in the ninth. He hasn't allowed an earned run since August 2nd.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Blaine Crim drove in his leagueleading 39th and 40th RBI on a double down the left field line in the fifth inning. The Alabamanative also leads the league with a .354 batting average and is tied for third in home runs with seven.
- A total of five Spokane Indians had RBIs in the win. Luis Asuncion , Kenen Irizarry , and Starling Joseph each drove in a run, joining Barreto and Crim as Spokane's run producers for the night.
- Hillsboro's winning streak was snapped at sixgames for the third time this season. It's the second time Spokane has ended their six-game streak, with the one other ending on July 4th after a 32 Indians win.
Triston Polley got into a rough spot in the 8th inning, surrendering three earned runs to make it a 9-6 game. The Hops were threatening to tie the game later in the inning with two aboard and just one out. Polley would respond though, getting Joe Gillette to strikeout and then later inducing a Ryan January ground ball to end the threat.
AROUND THE LEAGUE
The rest of the NWL North Division lost on Saturday, which now gives Spokane a two game lead on Tri-City and a four game lead on Everett in the division. Hillsboro's loss drops their lead to just three games over Eugene in the NWL South Division with eight games to play.
NEXT GAME AT AVISTA STADIUM
Game three of the four-game series between Spokane and Hillsboro is Sunday with Augtoberfest presented by Samuel Adams and ALT 96.1. Get a taste of the Bavarian tradition a few months early at the Spokane Indians Augtoberfest. Stick around after the game for Catch on the Field courtesy of Pizza Factory. Plus, fans can purchase an Augtoberfest Prost Pack to Sunday's game, which includes a five ounce Spokane Indians Tasting Mug, five drink coupons, and an upper box ticket to the game. Reserve your Prost Pack by calling the Spokane Indians Ticket Office at (509) 343-6886. Gates open at 4:00 PM with first pitch at 5:09 PM. Tickets for all Spokane Indians home game are available to purchase at the Avista Stadium Ticket Office or at SpokaneIndians.com. Reserve your seats today by calling (509) 343-OTTO (6886) or TicketsWest at 1-800-325-SEAT
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.