Tulsa, OK - After a three-run blast by OF Granden Goetzman in the top of the ninth to tie the game, the Tulsa Drillers walked off in the bottom of the ninth for an 8-7 win against the Springfield Cardinals before 4,228 fans at ONEOK Field on Tuesday night.
In just his second game back with Springfield (19-18), Goetzman helped lead the offense with two home runs and four RBIs, his first two homers as a Cardinal.
Goetzman's first home run of the night, a solo shot in the third, provided an early lead for Springfield, but Tulsa (20-17) rallied back in the bottom of the third. 2B Angelo Mora tied it with a leadoff solo home run to start the inning. Later in the frame, with two on and one away, an RBI single from 1B Connor Joe made it 2-1, before a three-run homer from C Keibert Ruiz with two away extended the Tulsa lead to 5-1.
A solo home run from RF Luke Raley and an RBI base knock by 1B Peter O'Brien in the fifth padded the advantage to 7-1.
LHP Jacob Evans took over for Springfield to start the sixth and quieted things down with three scoreless and hitless relief innings, holding the Drillers at seven runs.
Meanwhile, the Cardinals started the comeback with a three-run blast from CF Randy Arozarena, the outfielder's third home run in just his first 11 games this year with Springfield.
Trailing 7-4 with two away and the bases empty against RHP Cory Copping (W, 3-0) in the top of the ninth, OF Blake Drake kept the game alive with a pinch-hit single. 1B Chris Chinea followed with a base hit up the middle, putting runners at the corners with two down for Goetzman. Down to his final strike, Goetzman sent a towering, game-tying three-run blast to left field, his second homer of the night, to tie the game at 7-7.
However, the Drillers rallied right away in the bottom of the ninth against RHP Yeison Medina (L, 0-1). Pinch-hitting OF Zack Reks reached on an error to start the inning, before a single from RF Luke Raley and a bunt single by CF DJ Peters loaded the bases with no outs. 1B Connor Joe then pulled an RBI single to left field, scoring Reks for the 8-7 walk-off win for Tulsa.
The Cardinals and Drillers continue the series in Tulsa on Wednesday at 11:05am. Catch all the action live on KBFL 1060AM / 96.9 FM and SpringfieldCardinals.com, and tune in 15 minutes early for the Coyote's Sports Cafe Pregame Show.
Bark in the Park, Fans-on-Field Fireworks, Busch Stadium Exclusives Giveaways, Foodie Friday, On-Field Happy Hour and MORE coming in May!
The Cardinals return home on Friday, May 18, beginning a jam-packed schedule of promos, giveaways and theme nights for the second half of May!
Don't miss any of the upcoming fun, including:
- Saturday, May 19, 6:10 pm: Foundation Credit Union Red Cardinals Shirt Giveaway (2,000 fans)
- Sunday, May 20, 4:10 pm: Busch Stadium Exclusive St. Louis Cardinals Pet Treat Jar Giveaway (2,000 fans)
- Thursday, May 31, 7:10 pm: Busch Stadium Exclusive St. Louis Cardinals Replica 1968 National League Championship Ring (2,000 fans)
- Friday, May 18, 7:10 pm: Fans-on-Field Fireworks Featuring Time Machine Songs / Foodie Friday featuring All-You-Can-Eat Springfield Cashew Chicken
- Sunday, May 20, 4:10 pm: Purina Bark in the Park, where you can bring your Very Good Pup to the ballpark!
- Thursday, May 31, 7:10 pm: Pre-Game On-Field Happy Hour featuring stadium drink specials
- Sunday, May 20, 4:10 pm: Hiland Dairy Ice Cream Sunday / Kids Run the Bases
- Tuesday, May 29, 6:30 pm: Great Southern Bank $1 Dog Day
- Thursday, May 31, 7:10 pm: Klement's $1 Bratwurst Night
For information about organizing a Group Outing, becoming a Season Ticket Holder, booking a Birthday Party or ordering Individual Game Tickets right now, call the Front Office at (417) 863-2143 or visit SpringfieldCardinals.com.
Click to book your 2018 Cardinals Baseball Experience!
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.