The State College Spikes will be providing fans a new way to show their support for the Centre County United Way in 2014 with the Home Run Club, presented by First National Bank. Fans will be able to make a pledge for each time a Spikes player hits a homer at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park this summer, and the donations will benefit the Centre County United Way and its 34 partner agencies.
Spikes fans will be encouraged to join First National Bank and the Spikes in making a pledge through public address announcements and videos during each game. Pledge cards can be filled out at Spikes games throughout the season at the Collegiate Pride Customer Service Center on the main concourse behind home plate.
At the end of the season, businesses and individuals who have made home run pledges will be invited to participate in an on-field check presentation with First National Bank, Spikes and Centre County United Way representatives. Plus, any individual who joins the Home Run Club will receive two (2) free Spikes tickets to a future game.
"Our ability to improve lives in Centre County is a direct result of the support and advocacy of the Spikes and First National Bank," said Tammy Gentzel, Executive Director of Centre County United Way. "We are having fun with this opportunity to 'play ball' and to Live United with two incredible community partners. We hope Spikes fans will join in the fun and make the Home Run Club a great success."
The Spikes' partnership with the Centre County United Way this season also includes the seventh annual Centre County United Way Partner Agency Series. The Partner Agency Series will shine the spotlight on 15 different organizations over the course of the summer.
The dates and spotlighted agencies for the Spikes' CCUW Partner Agency Series are as follows:
- June 27: Mid-State Literacy Council
- June 29: Child Development & Family Council, Centre Crest Auxiliary and Centre County Youth Service Bureau
- July 6: Centre County Youth Service Bureau
- July 10: The Arc of Centre County
- July 12: House of Care and Centre County Child Access Center
- July 13: Centre County Youth Service Bureau
- July 22: Centre HomeCare/Crossing Hospice
- July 24: Easter Seals
- July 26: Centre County Youth Service Bureau - presented by Stocker Chevrolet Subaru
- August 1: Juniata Boy Scout Council and Skills of Central PA
- August 2: TIDES
- August 3: Centre County Youth Service Bureau
- August 4: Centre for Alternatives in Community Justice
- August 14: Strawberry Fields
The Spikes, the Class-A Short-Season affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals, will open the club's ninth season on Saturday, June 14 at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park against the rival Williamsport Crosscutters (Philadelphia Phillies). The Spikes will have 38 regular season home dates between June 14 and August 30. Single-game tickets for the entire 2014 season are now on sale. Season Tickets, Value Plans, McDonald's Flex Books and an array of group and corporate hospitality options are also currently available and can be reserved by calling (814) 272-1711. All Spikes ticket options can be viewed at StateCollegeSpikes.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.