INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - Tempers flared as the Toledo Mud Hens defeated the Indianapolis Indians 4-0 on Sunday afternoon at Victory Field.
The benches emptied in the fourth inning in the final game of an eventful five-game series. Four players were ejected including Beau Burrows, Daz Cameron and Ronny Rodriguez for the Mud Hens (40-49) and Blake Weiman for the Indians (44-44).
Cameron started the third inning off with the games first hit doubling down the left field line. Danny Woodrow then traded places with Cameron on an identical hit giving Toledo an early lead. Woodrow moved to third on a fly out by Jacob Robson and scored as Willi Castro blasted a two-run homerun giving the Mud Hens a 3-0 lead.
Mikie Mahtook started Toledo off in the fourth inning with a double. Cameron then hit his second double of the game with one out to score Mahtook as the Mud Hens went up four.
Things got dicey in the bottom of the fourth inning as Burrows hit Ke'Bryan Hayes in the helmet and was immediately ejected. Both benches cleared and punches from both sides were thrown. Rodriguez and Cameron were both ejected for the Mud Hens. Tyler Alexander came in to replace Burrows on the bump with Pete Kozma coming in to play second for Rodriguez. Chace Numata entered the game for Cameron playing in left field as Woodrow moved to center field.
Neither team was able to record a run after the benches cleared as Toledo took the rubber match with Indianapolis 4-0.
The Toledo Mud hens take a break for the All-Star game. Willi Castro and Victor Reyes were selected to participate in the All-Star game for Toledo. With Reyes currently playing for Detroit, Castro will be the lone representative for the club in El Paso.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings accoring to MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch):
5. OF Daz Cameron: 2 for 2, two doubles, RBI, run scored (ejected in fourth)
6. RHP Beau Burrows: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K (ejected in fourth)
7. IF Willi Castro: 2 for 5, homerun, two RBI
10. RHP Kyle Funkhouser: DNP
16. OF Jacob Robson: 0 for 3
18. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP
19. OF Danny Woodrow: 2 for 4, double, RBI, run scored
22. RHP John Schreiber: DNP
26. RHP Sandy Baez: DNP (IL)
27. LHP Matt Hall: DNP
28. IF/OF Dustin Peterson: 0 for 4
● Willi Castro blasted his fifth homerun of the season.
● The game marked the first of 2019 that a member of the Toledo Mud Hens was ejected from a game.
● The Toledo roster saw a handful of changes prior to the start of Saturday's game. Ryan Carpenter was optioned back to Toledo after starting Friday's game for the Tigers. In a corresponding move, Eduardo Jimenez was promoted to Detroit. Additionally, Chace Numata was called up from Erie with Jake Rogers being placed on the temporary inactive list while he participates in the Futures Game as part of the MLB All-Star festivities.
● Toledo pitching coach Juan Nieves will also be taking part in the Futures Game. During his absence Mark Johnson, the Erie Seawolves pitching coach, is his replacement.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.