Durham, NC - The Durham Bulls won the tug-of-war battle 6-3 as the Toledo Mud Hens were defeated on Thursday evening at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park.
Jacob Robson went 2 for 4 at the plate with a double and a home run as the Mud Hens (26-38) were defeated by the Durham Bulls (40-26) in a back and forth game.
The Detroit Tigers Opening Day starter, Jordan Zimmermann mad a rehab start for the Mud Hens after suffering a UCL sprain in his right elbow on April 26. Zimmermann made one start for A Lakeland before joining AAA Toledo today.
Durham used two hits in the second inning to plate the first run of the game which stood till the fourth inning.
Toledo started rolling in the fourth inning as Jeimer Candelario and Willi Castro hit consecutive singles. Dustin Peterson then ground into a double play as Candelario took third. Kody Eaves drew a walk to put runners on the corners for Daniel Pinero who doubled off the blue monster, clearing the bases and giving the Mud Hens a 2-1 lead.
Michael Brosseau evened the score with a solo bomb over the left field wall with one out in the fourth inning.
The Mud Hens regained its one run lead as Robson gave the ball a ride to deep center just over the fence.
The Bulls took over the lead in the bottom half of the fifth inning as Dalton Kelly doubled to lead off the inning and then Brendan McKay knocked a home run to center field as Durham went up 4-3. Zimmermann retired the next two batters he faced before handing the ball off to RHP Eduardo Jimenez. Zimmermann allowed four earned runs on five hits without allowing a walk and punching out six. Jimenez allowed a home run to his first batter, Kean Wong, as the Bulls went up 5-3. Nate Lowe was then hit by a pitch and moved to third on a single my Brosseau. Lowe scored and Brosseau moved to second on a wild pitch as Durham doubled up Toledo heading into the sixth inning.
Durham held on to take the game 6-3 and sweep the three-game series.
The Mud Hens head to Norfolk, Virginia to face the Tides with the first pitch from Harbor Park coming at 7:05 p.m. on Friday evening.
#RoadToDetroit Report (ranking according to MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch):
5. OF Daz Cameron: 0 for 4
6. RHP Beau Burrows: DNP (IL)
7. IF Willi Castro: 2 for 4
12. C Jake Rogers: DNP
16. OF Jacob Robson: 2 for 4, double, home run, RBI, run scored
18. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP
19. OF Danny Woodrow: 0 for 3
22. RHP John Schreiber: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
25. LHP Gregory Soto: DNP
26. RHP Sandy Baez: DNP (IL)
27. LHP Matt Hall: DNP
28. IF/OF Dustin Peterson: 2 for 4
● Prior to the start of Wednesday's contest Jeimer Candelario joined the Mud Hens roster on an MLB rehab assignment. Earlier today, Victor Reyes joined Detroit as the extra man and Jordan Zimmermann was added to Toledo to make a rehab start.
● RHP Jordan Zimmermann is 33 and has pitched 11 seasons in the MLB, seven seasons with the Washington Nationals and the past four seasons with the Detroit Tigers.
● Zimmermann threw four and two thirds innings allowing four runs on five hits while walking zero and striking out six.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.