North Little Rock, AR-The Arkansas Travelers were limited to six hits in a 4-2 loss to Northwest Arkansas on the next to last day of the season. The teams traded runs early before the Naturals took the lead for good in the fifth. NWA lefty starter Emilio Ogando also took command at that point as he retired the final 11 batters he faced. Ogando fired just 73 pitches over seven innings to earn the win with Richard Lovelady finishing it off for his third save. Ogando and Lovelady combined to retire 14 in a row at one stretch.
Moments That Mattered
- Chris Mariscal tripled past a diving Donnie Dewees in center then scored on Ryan Casteel's sacrifice fly in the opening inning.
- Down a run in the fourth, the Travs tied it when Tyler Marlette's ground out scored Casteel.
- Northwest Arkansas loaded the bases with two out in the fifth on a single, hit batter and walk. Nicky Lopez then hit a bouncing ball to the second baseman but the shortstop came off the bag and the Travs missed the chance for the forceout as the go-ahead run came in.
- Chuck Taylor and Chris Mariscal opened the ninth with consecutive singles but Ryan Casteel's fly ball to right-center was run down by Anderson Miller and a 4-6-3 double play ended the game.
Notable Travs Performances
- SS Chris Mariscal: 2-4, run, 3B
- 1B Ryan Casteel: 1-3, run, SF, RBI
- LHP Ashur Tolliver: 2 IP, 3 K
The Travelers and Naturals wrap up the regular season on Labor Day with righty Lindsey Caughel (10-10, 3.82) getting the start against righty Corey Ray (6-12, 5.61). First pitch is set for 2:10 and the game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.