North Little Rock, AR-The Frisco RoughRiders used dominant pitching and stellar defense to take a 3-1 win over the Arkansas Travelers in the rubber match of a three game series on Thursday night. Frisco starter Collin Wiles turned in seven innings of one-run ball for the victory with Connor Sadzeck and Reed Garrett each pitching a perfect inning to finish it off. Shortstop Michael De Leon made two nice plays in the late innings, centerfielder Jose Cardona made a diving catch to steal a hit for the final out of the game and the Riders threw out the potential tying run at home plate early in the game as part of their defensive showing.
Moments That Mattered
- Frisco struck in the third on a Royce Bolinger RBI triple and then he came home on a sacrifice fly from Isiah Kiner-Falefa.
- Arkansas scratched in the bottom of the third on a two out RBI single from Braden Bishop scoring Willie Argo who had doubled.
- Chris Mariscal followed with a lined single to right but Bishop was gunned down at the plate to end the inning on a throw by Royce Bolinger with a stretching tag from catcher Jose Trevino.
- Arkansas second baseman Jeff Kobernus committed a throwing error on a potential double play ball in the ninth setting Frisco up for an insurance run.
Notable Travs Performances
- CF Braden Bishop: 2-4, RBI
- LF Willie Argo: 1-3, 2B, run
- RHP Chase De Jong: 8 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 3 K
The Travs now welcome in the Midland RockHounds for the opener of a three-game set on Friday night. First pitch is at 7:10 as righty Justin DeFratus (5-6, 4.87) starts for Arkansas against righty Heath Fillmyer (7-4, 3.76). The first 1000 fans through the gates will receive ThunderStix and the game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.