North Little Rock, AR-The final homestand of 2017 for the Arkansas Travelers began with a 1-0 shutout of the Northwest Arkansas Naturals, the Travs 10th shutout of the year overall. It was their second 1-0 win of the season, the other coming in late June but also against Northwest Arkansas. Four Trav pitchers combined on the four-hitter with Aaron West working a season-high five innings for the victory. Naturals' starter Josh Staumont delivered his third consecutive stellar start but was tagged with the loss allowing the only run of the game on just three hits with three walks and six strikeouts. All three of the Travs hits on the night came in the fourth inning.
Moments That Mattered
- Ryan Casteel singled with one out in the fourth for Arkansas' first hit of the night and then moved to second on a Staumont wild pitch.
- Two batters later, Seth Mejias-Brean singled Casteel in with a two strike broken bat groundball single up the middle.
- Steven Baron followed with a double but Mejias-Brean was out on a close play at the plate to end the inning.
- Northwest Arkansas' best threat came in the fifth inning when they had two on with no out but Humberto Arteaga lined out to short and the Travelers were able to double off Nick Dini at second for a double play.
Notable Travs Performances
- 3B Seth Mejias-Brean: 1-3, RBI
- DH Steven Baron: 1-2, BB, 2B
- RHP Dylan Unsworth: 2 IP, 17 pitches/15 strikes, first appearance since July 28
- RHP Aaron West: Win, 5 IP, 4 H, BB, 2 K
- RHP Ryan Kelly: Save, IP, K
Arkansas plays their next to last game of the season on Sunday afternoon. Right-hander Bryan Evans (4-1, 3.45) takes the ball opposite lefty Emilio Ogando (9-10, 3.50). It is a $10 Family Sunday, an Operation: Military Appreciation Sunday and it is Photo with a Trav Day on the field pregame. Gates open at 1:10 and first pitch is at 2:10 and the game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.