Springdale, AR-The Northwest Arkansas Naturals buoyed by an eight-run inning took a one-run decision over the Arkansas Travelers, 9-8 on Tuesday night. After seeing a three-run lead turn into a five-run deficit, the Travs battled back to within one but left the tying run on base in the eighth inning. Mark Peterson, who was credited with a save, was not on the lineup cards exchanged by the managers before the game and Travelers manager Daren Brown protested his entrance into the game but he was allowed to pitch anyway.
Moments That Mattered
- Northwest Arkansas' first run of the night came on a questionable balk call against Nick Neidert. The way the inning played out, the run would not have scored without the balk.
- Kyle Waldrop tied the game with a clutch two-out RBI single in the third, then put Arkansas in front with an RBI groundout two innings later.
- Two booted groundballs by the Travs early in the bottom of the sixth helped lay foundation for the pivotal eight-run inning.
- Shawn O'Malley beat out a slow roller scoring one with two out in the eighth and the errant throw at the end of the play allowed a second run to score but O'Malley, then the tying run, was stranded at first base.
Notable Travs Performances
- CF Braden Bishop: 2-5
- 3B Seth Mejias-Brean: 2-5, 2 RBIs
- C Tyler Marlette: 2-4, 2B, run, RBI
- RHP Nick Neidert: Loss, 5.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 1 ER, 4 K
The rubber match of the three game series is Wednesday night at 7:05. The Travelers starting pitchers is to be announced while Northwest Arkansas will throw righty Josh Staumont (0-2, 7.02). The game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.