North Little Rock, AR-The Arkansas Travelers edged the Midland RockHounds, 5-4 on Saturday night in front of 8,945 at Dickey-Stephens Park. Steven Baron, in his first start as a Trav, lined a go-ahead two-run homer to right field in the sixth inning giving the Travs a lead they would not relinquish. Blake Perry and Ryan Kelly then combined for three scoreless innings to preserve the victory and get 20-year old Nick Neidert his first Double-A victory.
Moments That Mattered
- Down two runs, the Travs scored three times in the fifth, getting their first hits of the game in that inning. Braden Bishop tied the score with an RBI single before Chuck Taylor's bases loaded walk put Arkansas on top.
- Midland's J.P. Sportman lined a 2-run homer into the left field corner in the top of the sixth giving the RockHounds the lead back.
- Baron's go-ahead homer came in the bottom of the sixth inning with two out.
Notable Travs Performances
- 3B Seth Mejias-Brean: 3-4, 2 runs, SB
- CF Braden Bishop: 1-4, RBI, 21 game on-base streak
- C Steven Baron: 1-2, HBP, run, HR, 2 RBIs
- RHP Nick Neidert: Win, 6 IP, 8 H, 4 R, BB, 3 K, HR
- RHP Blake Perry: 2 IP, 2 H, 2 K
- RHP Ryan Kelly: Save, IP, H, 2 K
Arkansas and Midland wrap up their three game series on Sunday night. Righty Brian Evans (1-1, 6.55) is the scheduled starter against righty James Naile (1-2, 4.31). It is a $10 Family Sunday and an Operation: Military Appreciation Sunday. First pitch is at 6:10 and the game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.