CHARLESTON, SC - The Charleston RiverDogs are once again well represented on the list of winners of the 2013 South Atlantic League Outstanding Achievement Awards. All 14 teams, along with the field managers and umpires participated in the voting for these awards, and the RiverDogs took home a trio of top honors for the second consecutive year.
The RiverDogs, the Class A affiliate of the New York Yankees, were recognized for the third time in four years with the Excellence in Marketing Award, and will be the SAL's nominee for the prestigious Larry MacPhail Award that is awarded by Minor League Baseball.
Dave Echols captured the General Manager of the Year Award for the second time in three years while longtime Assistant General Manager Andy Lange was recognized for the first time as the Sales Executive of the Year.
"We are honored to receive these three awards, and it is a true testament to how hard each and every one of our front office staff members, game day staff and interns work every day," said Echols. "I thank our peers around the league who bestowed us with these honors, and we could not be more honored to receive these awards.
"These citations are wonderful to receive and we're proud of the accomplishments, but we're more proud of our on-going positive relationship that we have fostered with our many fans who continue to enjoy RiverDogs Baseball," said Echols. "It is also a tribute to the outstanding staff that we've assembled.
"We are also quite proud our of nine-year formal relationship with the New York Yankees, truly one of the best organizations in professional sports," Echols added. "They are simply wonderful to work with."
The awards will be presented at the South Atlantic League Fall Meetings on October 15 in Tampa, Fla.
The complete list of the 2013 SAL Outstanding Achievement Award winners:
- Excellence in Marketing Award: Charleston RiverDogs
- Club Merit Award: Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Community Service Award: Lexington Legends
- General Manager of the Year: Dave Echols (Charleston RiverDogs)
- Sales Executive of the Year: Andy Lange (Charleston RiverDogs)
- Female Executive of the Year: Kathryn Bobel (Hickory Crawdads)
- Media Relations Director of the Year: Greg Giombarrese (Lakewood BlueClaws)
- Sports Turf Manager of the Year: Greg Burgess (Greenville Drive)
- Best Playing Field Award: Fluor Field at the West End (Greenville Drive)
- Visiting Clubhouse Manager of the Year: Matt Sanchez (Augusta GreenJackets)