SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- The Springfield Cardinals (13-21) lost 4-1 on Friday night to the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (13-20) in front of 5,846 fans at Hammons Field.
W: RHP Arnaldo Hernandez (1-0)
L: RHP Harold Arauz (0-3)
S: RHP Franco Terrero (2)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- The two-run second-inning home run by Naturals 1B Travis Jones was all Northwest Arkansas would need in the game with Springfield being held off the board until plating a single runner in the bottom of the ninth.
- The Cardinals mounted a rally in the ninth after being shut down for the first eight innings, loading the bases with two outs when 1B Chris Chinea was hit on a 2-2 pitch. Next, PH Brian O'Keefe drove LF Justin Williams home on an infield single, but 3B Alberto Triunfel popped out to end the game.
- The Naturals win at Hammons Field is the first win by either Northwest Arkansas or Springfield at that opponent's home ballpark this season.
- C Jose Godoy led all Cardinals batters with a 2-for-4 night. Only three other Springfield batters managed a hit.
- Hernandez allowed just three hits and four walks over 7.0 innings for the Naturals, striking out six in his first Double-A start of 2019 after beginning the year with Triple-A Omaha.
- The teams combined to leave 38 runners on base, with Northwest Arkansas stranding 26.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
Celebrate your two favorite Cardinals with Saturday night's Springfield/St. Louis Cardinals Coca-Cola Red Super Soft MO Birds T-Shirt giveaway for 2,000 fans!
Plus, St. Louis Cardinals #19 prospect RHP Johan Oviedo is scheduled to make his first career start at Hammons Field. First pitch is set for 6:10 p.m. with gates opening at 5:10 p.m.
Check out all the upcoming fun and get your tickets today at www.SpringfieldCardinals.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.