SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- The Springfield Cardinals (30-40; 60-80) put up double-digit hits but came out short in the 2019 season finale, falling 11-6 to the Midland RockHounds (39-31; 73-66) on Monday afternoon in front of 5,737 fans at Hammons Field.
W: RHP Wandisson Charles (1-0)
L: RHP Johan Oviedo (7-8)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- The difference on Monday was Midland's eight-run fifth inning, highlighted by a pair of bases-loaded walks, RBI singles by SS Taylor Motter and RF Greg Deichmann, and a three-run home run by C Collin Theroux. The RockHounds sent 11 batters to the plate in the inning, flipping a 5-2 deficit to a 10-5 lead.
- The Cardinals went ahead 4-2 in the second inning off an RBI single by 1B Zach Kirtley and a three-run shot by SS Rayder Ascanio (6).
- Cardinals C Julio Rodriguez (1) homered in the bottom of the sixth, pulling Springfield within the final 11-6 score with what was his first Double-A home run.
- Rodriguez had his best day the plate since being promoted to Double-A on July 29, finishing 3-for-4 with that sixth-inning homer.
- Ascanio, 2B Irving Lopez and CF Conner Capel all finished with two hits.
- RHP Johan Oviedo struggled in the first and fifth innings but tossed scoreless frames in the second, third and fourth. The 21-year-old allowed seven runs on seven hits and five walks over 4.1 innings, striking out seven.
- RHP Kyle Leahy tossed 3.0 scoreless relief innings in his Double-A debut, striking out two to only one hit.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.