SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- The Springfield Cardinals (21-25, 51-65) fell 6-1 to the Arkansas Travelers (27-19, 70-44) in the opener of a four-game series on Thursday night in front of 5,892 fans at Hammons Field.
W: RHP Logan Gilbert (2-2)
L: RHP Alex FaGalde (3-2)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- The Travelers broke a 0-0 tie with back-to-back home runs by 1B Evan White and DH Cal Raleigh in the top of the fourth inning. White's was a two-run shot and Raleigh's put the Travs up 3-0.
- Springfield got a run back in the bottom of the fourth when CF Dylan Carlson hit his league-leading 19th home run of the season, but that would be all the scoring for the Cardinals.
- Cardinals LF Conner Capel finished the night 2-for-4.
- FaGalde allowed five runs on eight hits and three walks over 6.1 innings, striking out four. Most of the damage came by the home run, as the Travelers took FaGalde deep four times in the game.
- Rehabbing St. Louis Cardinals C Yadier Molina was 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in the first game of his rehab assignment with Springfield.
UP NEXT: The Cardinals and Travelers continue their four-game series on Friday with first pitch scheduled for 7:10 p.m. and gates opening at 6:10 p.m.
Yadier Molina is expected to continue his rehab assignment with Springfield on Friday night.
Plus, it's Fans-On-Field Fireworks celebrating 50th Anniversary of 1969 Music Festival.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.