SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- The Springfield Cardinals (13-20) pushed their season-best win streak to four games with a 7-4 victory over the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (12-20) on Thursday at Hammons Field.
W: LHP Austin Warner (1-2)
L: RHP Jace Vines (1-4)
S: RHP Seth Elledge (2)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- The Cardinals took the lead for good during a three-run third inning capped by a two-run single by RF Johan Mieses after DH Justin Williams tied the game 1-1 with his first Hammons Field RBI.
- With Warner cruising, the Cardinals pushed their lead to 7-2 in the sixth thanks to 1B Chris Chinea's fifth homer of the year, an RBI triple by CF Dylan Carlson and a pair of Naturals errors that accounted for two more Cardinals runs.
- RHP Seth Elledge crushed a late Naturals rally, entering the game with the bases loaded and two outs in the eighth inning and forcing a Travis Jones groundout to third to escape the jam and preserve the 7-4 score.
- Warner tossed his best game of 2019, pitching 7.0+ innings with five strikeouts, six hits, three earned runs and zero walks.
- SS Jose Martinez went 2-for-4 with a double in his first game with Springfield in 2019.
- Williams finished 2-for-4 with a double in his Hammons Field debut, driving home a run and scoring.
- The Naturals finished the game with five errors, but only one of Springfield's seven runs was unearned.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
Game 2 of this four-game series is Friday at 7:10 p.m. Friday's game is our Expedia Fleece Blanket Giveaway for 2,000 fans.
Check out all the upcoming fun and get your tickets today at www.SpringfieldCardinals.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.