SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- The Springfield Cardinals (3-7) battled back from being down a run twice in extra innings to beat the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (4-6) 4-3 in 11 innings on Saturday at Hammons Field.The win pushed the Cardinals win streak to three games after an 0-7 start to the season
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- The Springfield Cardinals (3-7) battled back from being down a run twice in extra innings to beat the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (4-6) 4-3 in 11 innings on Saturday at Hammons Field.
The win pushed the Cardinals win streak to three games after an 0-7 start to the season on the road. The 3-0 home start is the best for Springfield since winning the first four home games of the 2010 season.
W: LHP Jacob Patterson (2-1)
L: RHP Walker Sheller (0-2)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- 3B Elehuris Montero won it for the Cardinals with a no-out, bases-loaded 11th-inning double into the gap in right, scoring 1B Evan Mendoza and RF Johan Mieses.
- In the 10th, CF Dylan Carlson kept Springfield alive with a sacrifice fly that brought Conner Capel home and tied the game 3-3.
- While the Naturals scored the inherited extra-inning runner in both the 10th and the 11th, Cardinals relievers RHP Kodi Whitley and Patterson both stranded runners in scoring position to keep the Cardinals within a run, Whitley in the 10th and Patterson in the 11th.
- LHP Austin Warner put in the best start of the Cardinals season, tossing 5.0 scoreless innings and striking out five while allowing just one hit and four walks.
- After two hits in each of his first two home games, Montero is now 5-for-13 with three extra-base hits and six RBIs in three games at Hammons Field.
- 1B Evan Mendoza extended his hit streak to five games with a 1-for-5 day.
- Carlson's seven-game hitting streak came to an end with an 0-for-4 day.
COMING UP SUNDAY AT HAMMONS!
- Sunday Funday! All kids at every Sunday home game receive free Hiland Dairy Ice Cream sandwiches before first pitch and can run the bases following the game! The Cardinals close their series with the Naturals with first pitch set for 2:10pm. Gates open at 1:10pm.