SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- A 38-minute rain delay in the top of the sixth did more damage on the scoreboard than it did to the field. The Springfield Cardinals (25-40) entered the delay with a 4-2 lead, but when the sky cleared the Midland RockHounds (32-32) poured six runs on the board in the sixth inning and cruised from there to a 9-5 win.
W: LHP Zack Erwin (4-2)
L: RHP Merandy Gonzalez (1-3)
S: RHP Kyle Finnegan (9)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- Capped by a three-run home run by RockHounds SS Kevin Merrell, Midland scored six of their nine runs in the sixth inning following the rain delay. Gonzalez was on the mound for all six, allowing five runs (2 ER) on three hits and two walks in 0.1 innings. RHP Connor Jones took the mound before the delay and was charged with one run.
- Cardinals RHP Roel Ramirez struck out seven over 3.2 scoreless innings in his fourth start of the season. Generally utilized out of the bullpen, Ramirez allowed just two walks and zero hits.
- Freshly back from a stint at Triple-A Memphis, Cardinals DH Jose Godoy sent a 449-foot home run clear over the team's clubhouse and into the employee parking lot in right field that brought Springfield within 8-5 in the eighth. The exit velocity was estimated at 109.9 MPH.
- The bottom of the RockHounds lineup gave Cardinals pitching fits as the 6-9 hitters combined to go 7-for-15 with three walks, four RBIs and six runs.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
The Cardinals close their three-game series with the RockHounds on Thursday with first pitch set for 7:10 p.m. and gates opening at 6:10 p.m.
Thursday night promotions include:
- Ozark Fence & Supply Co. Camouflage Dry Fit Shirt Giveaway (2,000)
- Klement's $1 Bratwurst Night
- Pre-Game On-Field Happy Hour
- Missouri Lottery Baseball Bingo
Check out all the upcoming fun and get your tickets today at SpringfieldCardinals.com/promotions.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.