Daniel Flores, a 17-year-old catcher who signed with the Boston Red Sox this summer, has passed away of complications during treatment for cancer, the team confirmed via statement Wednesday.
"Everyone at the Red Sox was shocked to hear of Daniel's tragic passing," president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said in the statement. "To see the life of a young man with so much promise cut short is extremely saddening for all of us. On behalf of the Red So organization, I would like to extend our deepest sympathies and condolences to Daniel's family."
The native of Venezuela was considered by some the best international prospect available in this summer's signing period. Some called him the best international catching prospect since the Yankees' Gary Sanchez, and his abilities behind the plate earned him comparisons to the Padres' Austin Hedges, according to MLB Pipeline. His hitting and power rated a 50 on the 20-80 scouting scale. Although he had yet to get into competitive action, he was ranked Boston's No. 5 prospect.
Flores inked a deal with the Red Sox on July 2, garnering a $3.1 signing bonus in the process. He had reportedly come to Boston recently to receive treatment.
"Every member of organization who got to know Daniel absolutely loved him. He was energetic, hard-working, and genuinely selfless, always with a smile on his face," Red Sox senior vice president and assistant general manager Eddie Romero said in the statement. "He cared for his teammates and was a natural leader. I'm at a loss for words today. Daniel was an impressive young man with limitless potential, and his life was cut far too short.
"My condolences go out to Daniel's mother and sister. Though with us for a short time, Daniel will always be a part of the Red Sox family."
The switch-hitter trained this summer at Boston's academy in the Dominican Republic and had been expected to play in the Rookie-level Dominican Summer League in the 2018 season.