Barons Dropped By Biscuits, 7-2
Jimenez records first four-hit game of season
Eloy Jimenez went 4-for-4 in Saturday's loss. (Michael Wade)
A pair of home runs from the Montgomery Biscuits (18-25) were too much to overcome for the Birmingham Barons (19-23) in a 7-2 loss on Saturday night in front of 7,625 at Regions Field. The win gives the Biscuits a 2-1 series lead with two games remaining. Turning Point: The game
A pair of home runs from the Montgomery Biscuits (18-25) were too much to overcome for the Birmingham Barons (19-23) in a 7-2 loss on Saturday night in front of 7,625 at Regions Field. The win gives the Biscuits a 2-1 series lead with two games remaining.
- Turning Point: The game unraveled for Barons starter
Spencer Adams(L, 2-5) with two outs in the top of the third. On an 0-2 pitch, Dalton Kellyhit a two-run homer into the Barons bullpen to extend the Montgomery lead. Two hits later in the frame gave the Biscuits a 4-0 lead.
- Moments That Mattered: The Barons began the comeback in the bottom of the fourth as
Seby Zavalafollowed an Eloy Jiménezhit by launching his league-leading 10th home run of the season to right-center to trim the deficit to 4-2. The home run was the Barons' league-leading 46th home run of the year.
- By the Numbers: Adams lasted just 4.2 innings, giving up the four earned runs on eight hits with two walks and a season-high nine strikeouts, the highest total recorded by a Baron this year. However, he gave up a home run to
Ryan Boldton the first pitch of the game as the Biscuits jumped in front and never looked back.
- Facts and Figures: After going hitless in the first two games of the series, Jimenez broke through on Saturday, going 4-for-4 with two doubles and a run scored. It marks the first time this season a Baron has recorded four hits in a game. However, he was thrown out at third base on a close play in the sixth, eliminating a run that could have cut the deficit to 4-3.
- Up Next: The two sides continue their series with a 3 p.m. matchup on Sunday afternoon.
Jordan Guerrero(1-4, 6.10) is set to start for the Barons against Eduar Lopez(1-2, 5.08). Curt Bloom will have the call on 960 WERC News Radio and the iHeart Radio app.