SPOKANE, Wash. - The Spokane Indians could not take advantage of runners in scoring position late in the game and the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes finished off the sweep with a 7-6 win on 4th of July Fireworks Celebration presented by No-Li Brewhouse, KREM 2, and 98.9 KKZX.
- Infielder Jake Hoover went 2-for-3 with a double, triple, and a walk. He's the first Spokane hitter with two triples this season.
- Salem-Keizer's Franklin Labour hit another home run tonight. He finished the three-game series with five homers and his 10 long balls this season is double the second leading hitter in the league.
- Werner Leal threw two perfect innings in relief. He's given up just one run this season in 11.2 spectacular innings, striking out 16.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Spokane went 3-for-16 with runners in scoring position and left 11 on base, including five in the final two innings.
- Kellen Strahm has five stolen bases in just 10 games this season. His five steals move him into the top five in the NWL in that category.
- This is the first time Salem-Keizer has won a series in Spokane since 2013, when they took three out of five.
With Spokane trailing by a run in the eighth, Hoover led off the bottom half with a triple. The Indians stranded that tying run at third when Strahm and Obie Ricumstrict both struck out and Luis Asuncion lined out. The Indians had another chance in the ninth when the tying run reached second with two outs, but Scott Kapers flew out to center to end the game.
AROUND THE LEAGUE
All four members of the South Division won their series against the North Division this week. Because of that, Spokane remains tied for first place in the North despite their five-game losing streak. The Indians and Tri-City Dust Devils are atop the standings at 10-10 with Everett a game behind. Salem-Keizer is a game behind Hillsboro in the South. The Hops have won six straight and host Spokane for three games starting Thursday.
NEXT HOME GAME AT AVISTA STADIUM
The Indians return home to Avista Stadium on Sunday, July 7th to open a three-game series with the Tri-City Dust Devils. Sunday's game is Kids Day & OTTO's Birthday Bash presented by Longhorn Barbecue, K-102 Country, and Kids Newspaper. Join us as we celebrate OTTO the Mascot's Birthday courtesy of Longhorn Barbecue! OTTO's mascot friends will be on hand and we'll have great activities for kids all night long. Stay after the game for Catch on the Field courtesy of Pizza Factory! Gates open at 5:30 PM with first pitch at 6:30 PM. Tickets for all Spokane Indians home game are available to purchase at the Avista Stadium Ticket Office or at SpokaneIndians.com. Reserve your seats today by calling (509) 343-OTTO (6886) or TicketsWest at 1-800-325-SEAT.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.