59 seasons of history at Cheney Stadium
The first team to play at brand-new Cheney Stadium, the Giants marked the return of Pacific Coast League baseball to Tacoma (Tacoma had a PCL entry in 1904 and half of 1905).
Future Hall of Famer Juan Marichal pitched a shutout in the first Giants win at Cheney Stadium, but it was the 1961 Giants who brought the first championship to the city. Gaylord Perry, Ron Herbel, and Eddie Fisher fronted an outstanding starting rotation as the club went 97-57 under manager Red Davis. Bob Perry hit 22 home runs, and Dick Phillips won the only Most Valuable Player award claimed by a Tacoma player.
The Giants continued to play in Tacoma through the 1965 season, when San Francisco Giants owner Horace Stoneham announced that he was moving his affiliate to Phoenix for 1966. But the Chicago Cubs stepped in and arranged to send their prospects to Tacoma the following year.