FRISCO, Texas (May 2, 2017) -Matt Lipka's RBI fielder's choice in the bottom of the eighth broke a 2-2 tie, sending the Frisco RoughRiders, the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, past the San Antonio Missions 3-2 in the opener of a four-game series Tuesday night at Dr Pepper Ballpark.BIG
FRISCO, Texas (May 2, 2017) -Matt Lipka's RBI fielder's choice in the bottom of the eighth broke a 2-2 tie, sending the Frisco RoughRiders, the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, past the San Antonio Missions 3-2 in the opener of a four-game series Tuesday night at Dr Pepper Ballpark.
- With the game tied at two in the eighth, Matt Lipka drove in the go-ahead run, plating Royce Bolinger from third base on an RBI fielder's choice. Frisco had previously tied the game on an RBI single from Eric Aguilera in the bottom of the seventh.
- Sam Wolff earned his first victory of the season. After working out of a jam in the eighth, he escaped a bases-loaded jam in the ninth, striking out José Rondón to close out the victory.
- The Missions took an early 2-0 lead in the top of the second inning against Riders starter Collin Wiles on a two-run double from Alberth Martinez .
- Frisco cut the deficit to one run in the bottom of the second on Michael De Leon's RBI single.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Scott Heineman: 2-4, triple
- Michael De Leon: 1-3, RBI, HBP
- Eric Aguilera: 2-4, RBI
- Collin Wiles: ND, 7 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
- Sam Wolff: W, 2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
NEWS AND NOTES
- With Tuesday's win, the Riders snapped their season-long three-game losing streak.
- Collin Wiles, who struck out six and didn't issue a walk Tuesday, has allowed just three walks and fanned 27 hitters in 31 innings this season.
- Scott Heineman extended his on-base streak to 22 games with his infield single and triple. The triple is Frisco's second of the season, both coming against San Antonio.
RoughRiders vs. San Antonio, Wednesday, 7:05 p.m.
Probables: RHP Connor Sadzeck
(2-1, 4.43 ERA) vs. TBA
Tickets: Click here
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio App
, MiLB First Pitch AppAbout the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 12 seasons (2005-2016). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. The new ownership group, together with the city of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise improvements over the past two seasons, investing nearly $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a new state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store, and the newest and biggest creation, the 174-foot Choctaw Lazy River. The upgrades made prior to the 2015 season earned the Riders and the City of Frisco "Best Ballpark Renovation" of 2015 by Ballpark Digest. The same publication also honored the Choctaw Lazy River as the best ballpark improvement over $1 million for the 2016 season. More than 140 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-Stars Chris Davis, Adrián González
, Ian Kinsler
, and Nelson Cruz
, as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus
, Rougned Odor
and Nomar Mazara
. For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Art Garcia at [email protected]
or Ryan Rouillard at [email protected]