SALEM, Virginia (August 3, 2019) - Eight players in the Salem lineup recorded a hit in a 9-4 triumph over the Lynchburg Hillcats on Saturday night at Haley Toyota Field.
How it Happened
* Back-to-back singles from Victor Acosta and Jagger Rusconi got the scoring going, putting the Sox up 3-0 in the bottom of the first. Charlie Madden would bring both Acosta and Rusconi across the plate that same inning with his first home run of the 2019 season in a Salem uniform, giving Salem a 6-0 advantage.
* Lynchburg wouldn't get on the board till the top of the third, crossing two on a groundout and a single.
* Acosta put the Sox up 7-2 in the bottom of the third with a single to right field, his second RBI of the game.
* The Hillcats added another run in the top of the fifth, closing the deficit to four.
* Pedro Castellanos lead off the bottom of the fifth inning with a solo shot to left field, giving Salem a 8-3 advantage.
* A double from Jonathan Laureano in the top of the sixth inning allowed Lynchburg to make it 8-4.
* Salem tacked on one more in the bottom of the eighth when Nick Lovullo doubled to left field to bring home Charlie Madden. Logan Browning, who was promoted from Greenville today, shut the door in the top of the ninth to secure the 9-4 victory.
* Victor Acosta: 2-for-4, 1 R, 3 RBI
* Charlie Madden: 1-for-2, 2 R, 3 RBI
* Jagger Rusconi: 1-for-4, 1 R, 1 RBI
* Pedro Castellanos: 1-for-4, 1 R, 1 RBI
* Keith Curcio: 2-for-4, 1 R
* Edgar Corcino: 1-for-2, 2 R
* Nick Lovullo: 2-for-4, 1 RBI
* Ryan Fitzgerald: 1-for-4, 1 R
*Andrew Politi: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
* Charlie Madden hit his first home run of the 2019 season in a Salem uniform, a three-run blast to left center field.
* Eight different players recorded a hit tonight, with three players notching multi-hit efforts.
* Victor Acosta had his second consecutive multi-RBI outing, knocking in three RBI for his ninth multi-RBI game of the season.
* Logan Browning made his first appearance in Salem after being called up from Greenville earlier today, pitching two innings while allowing four hits, no runs, walking one, and striking out one.
Salem Red Sox vs .Lynchburg Hillcats, Sunday, August 4, 2019. First pitch is scheduled for 2:05 PM
RHP Thaddeus Ward vs. RHP Cody Morris
Listen: SalemSox.com, TuneIn Radio, ESPN Blacksburg WKEX 1430 AM/94.1 FM, ESPN Roanoke WGMN 1240 AM/93.3 FM
Watch: MiLB TV
The Salem Red Sox are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox and call Haley Toyota Field in Salem, Virginia home. The team was founded in 1968 and purchased by Fenway Sports Management in December of 2007. For more information on the Salem Red Sox, please visit SalemRedSox.com or contact Melanie Newman at MNewman@salemsox.com
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.