WILMINGTON, Delaware (July 10, 2019) - Marcus Wilson blasted the Red Sox over the Wilmington Blue Rocks 3-1 Wednesday night at Frawley Stadium.
How it Happened
* Keith Curcio punctuated the first pitch of the tilt with a double and scored after a sacrifice fly from Ryan Fitzgerald to take a 1-0 lead.
* Daniel Gonzalez squared up with Jonathan Bowlan until the seventh inning when Fitzgerald knocked a lead-off single and Marcus Wilson tattooed a ball to left field to pull ahead 3-0.
* Wilmington's lone run came on an RBI single in the bottom of the frame to cut the lead 3-1.
* Gonzalez finished after 6 1/3 innings in which only one run crossed through four hits and four strikeouts.
* Zach Schellenger delivered 2 1/3 innings of scoreless relief, permitting two hits and striking out three. Andrew Schwaab secured the final out of the contest.
* Marcus Wilson: 1-for-4, 2 RBI, R, HR
* Daniel Gonzalez: 6.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K - W (4-6)
* Zach Schellenger: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
* Salem's win is its third straight over Wilmington to improve to 8-6 on the season.
* Gonzalez's outing is his fourth consecutive quality start. In both appearances against Wilmington, the Blue Rocks have only managed one earned run in each contest.
* Wilson's blast marks the fourth Salem home run in three consecutive games. The last three-game home run streak was Wilson's own three-game streak June 21-23 against Down East.
Salem Red Sox at Wilmington Blue Rocks Thursday, July 11, 2019. First pitch is scheduled for 4:35 PM EST.
GAME ONE: LHP Jhonathan Diaz vs. LHP Kris Bubic
GAME TWO: TBA vs LHP Rito Lugo
Listen: SalemSox.com, TuneIn Radio, ESPN Blacksburg WKEX 1430 AM/94.1 FM, WGMN 1240 AM/93.3 FM
The Salem Red Sox are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox and call Haley Toyota Field in Salem, Virginia home. The team was founded in 1968 and purchased by Fenway Sports Management in December of 2007. For more information on the Salem Red Sox, please visit SalemRedSox.com or contact Melanie Newman at MNewman@salemsox.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.