North Little Rock, AR-Beau Amaral had the go-ahead single in the eighth inning and Chuck Taylor followed with a grand slam as the Arkansas Travelers defeated the Springfield Cardinals 8-4 and finished off a sweep of the four game series. It was just the second sweep of the season by the Travs and the four straight wins matched a season-best. Twice, the Cardinals erased a Traveler lead including scoring two times in the eighth inning to tie the game at three. Every time though, Arkansas had an answer capped by the five-run bottom of the eighth.
Moments That Mattered
* Dario Pizzano scored on an error in the bottom of the sixth to put the Travs on top. Beau Amaral followed with an run scoring hit to add to the lead.
* Springfield tied it quickly in the top of the eighth scoring two times within the first four pitches of the inning. John Nogowski reached on a throwing error and Lane Thomas followed with a base hit. An errant pick off throw brought home the first run and two pitches later Jeremy Martinez doubled home the tying run. Matt Walker then buckled down and retired the next three hitters in succession to keep the go-ahead run from scoring.
* The winning rally in the bottom of the eighth started when Donnie Walton's fly ball down the left field line was lost in the sky by Johan Mieses and dropped for a double. Joe DeCarlo was hit by a 3-2 pitch and Logan Taylor singled to load the bases setting the stage for Amaral and Taylor's heroics.
Notable Travs Performances
* CF Beau Amaral: 2-4, run, BB, 2 RBI
* RF Chuck Taylor: 2-3, run, 2 BB, HR, 5 RBI
* 1B Joey Curletta: 4-5, 2B
* Max Povse: 5 IP, 5 H, R, 3 BB, 2 K
The Travs hit the road for a four game series in Tulsa beginning Sunday night. First pitch is set for 7:05 and the game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.