Springfield, MO- Lindsey Caughel fired an 83 pitch complete game three-hit shutout on Wednesday night leading the Arkansas Travelers to a 3-0 win over the Springfield Cardinals. It was the Travs' sixth win in their last seven games. Caughel was dominant throughout the night facing just one batter over the minimum and recording 16 groundouts. One base runner was nabbed stealing in the first while Caughel picked one off himself in the seventh. He notched just two strikeouts but one came to end the game against Oscar Mercado who had two of Springfield's three hits. After surrendering a leadoff hit to Mercado, Caughel would retire the next 17 Cardinal batters.
Moments That Mattered
- Oscar Mercado led off the game with a single but was caught trying to steal second base. Lindsey Caughel would then put down 17 Cardinals in a row.
- Willie Argo blasted a solo homer down the left field line to open the sixth inning and the scoring.
- Seth Mejias-Brean greeted reliever Rowan Wick with a two-run single past a drawn in infield in the seventh.
Notable Travs Performances
- RHP Lindsey Caughel: CG, SHO, 9 IP, 3 H, 2 K
- 3B Seth Mejias-Brean: 1-4, 2 RBIs
- CF Willie Argo: 1-3, run, HR, RBI
Arkansas and Springfield continue their series on Thursday night as lefty Kyle Hunter (1-0, 4.75) makes the start against lefty Austin Gomber (10-7, 3.42). First pitch in Springfield is set for 7:10 and the game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.