Corpus Christi, TX-Yordan Alvarez hit a 3-run walk off homer in the bottom of the 11th inning to propel the Corpus Christi Hooks to 10-7 win over the Arkansas Travelers in the opener of a three game series on Sunday afternoon. Arkansas rallied from down four runs early eventually tying the game in the 8th. Both teams tallied once in the 10th before Arkansas retook the lead in the 11th before Corpus Christi put together the winning rally in the bottom of that inning. Neither team's starter was able to go five innings with Andrew Moore for the Travs lasting four and two-thirds while striking out nine. Arkansas had numerous opportunities to add extra runs throughout the game as they were an astounding 9-24 with runners in scoring position and stranded 14 men on base including leaving the bases loaded on three different occasions.
Moments That Mattered
- Dario Pizzano's RBI double and Joseph Odom's RBI single tied the game at five in the 8th inning.
- Pizzano lined out to end the top of the 9th with the bases loaded.
- After scoring in the 10th on an RBI hit from Odom, the Travs again left the bases loaded.
- Chris Mariscal knocked home another go-ahead run in the 11th but a double play ball ended the threat for more.
- In the bottom of the 11th, Corpus Christi was left with a runner at first base and two out when back-to-back singles got the runner around to tie the score. They were the first hits for the Hooks since the 5th inning. That got Alvarez to the plate for the winning homer.
Notable Travs Performances
- 1B Joey Curletta: 2-4, run, 2 BB, 2 2B
- 2B Chris Mariscal: 2-4, 2 BB, 2 RBI
- 3B Adam Law: 2-4, run, BB, SH
- C Joseph Odom: 2-4, run, BB, 2 RBI
- SS Yonathan Mendoza: 2-4, run, BB, RBI
- Darin Gillies: 2.1 IP, BB, K, stranded 2 inherited runners
The Travs and Hooks play the middle game of this three game series on Monday night with a 7:05 first pitch. Lefty Spencer Herrmann (1-0, 10.38) starts for Arkansas against lefty Cionel Perez (0-1, 9.00). The game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.