North Little Rock, AR-Chase De Jong delivered a stellar start as the Arkansas Travelers (12-7, 47-42) won their third consecutive contest, taking out the Springfield Cardinals 7-2 on Friday night in front of 5,327 at Dickey-Stephens Park. De Jong lasted seven innings on 88 pitches while surrendering only two runs (one earned). The victory is the fifth in a row for the Travs over Springfield and ninth in the last 10 games against them. In addition to a go-ahead homer early in the game, Chris Mariscal made several stand out plays at third base and finished the night with eight assists from the hot corner.
Moments That Mattered
* Down a run, Chris Mariscal mashed a two-out homer in the fourth to put the Travs on top.
* After Springfield tied it in the sixth thanks to a Trav error, Arkansas struck for two runs in the bottom of the inning. Eric Filia scored the go-ahead run on a throwing error and Logan Taylor added an RBI single.
Notable Travs Performances
* DH Eric Filia: 2-4, 2 runs, 2B, RBI
* 1B Dario Pizzano: 1-1, run, 3 BB
* 3B Chris Mariscal: 1-3, 2 runs, BB, HR, 3 RBI
* Chase De Jong: Win, 7 IP, 7 H, 2 R, ER, 3 BB, K, HR
The Travs go for a sweep of the four game series on Saturday night. RH Max Povse (4-3, 3.56) makes the start against RH Connor Jones (5-3, 4.06). First pitch is at 6:10 with gates opening at 5:10 for a drawstring backpack giveaway. The game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.