Springdale, AR-A first inning grand slam by Chris Mariscal got the Arkansas Travlers (19-17) off and rolling on their way to a 13-5 victory over the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (15-21) in the series opener Monday night. It was the Travs' fifth win in their last six games. After snatching the early lead, Arkansas would blow the game open with a seven run sixth inning, their biggest frame of the season. They also set a new season high for runs scored and matched their season high in hits with 16. Every batter had at least one hit with five players registering multi-hit games. Anthony Misiewicz was the beneficiary working 5.2 innings for his first win of the season. The win coupled with Tulsa's comeback victory over Springfield puts the Travs in a three-way tie for first in the North with the Drillers and Cardinals.
Moments That Mattered
* After a single, an error and an infield single loaded the bases, Mariscal's grand slam opened the scoring. It was the team's second granny of the year and came with two out on a 1-2 pitch.
* The sixth inning featured seven runs scoring thanks to six hits and three walks. Northwest Arkansas saw two pitchers combine to throw 56 pitches in the inning. Mariscal hit a two-run double that put the lead at nine. He finished with a career-high tying six runs batted in.
Notable Travs Performances
* CF Braden Bishop: 3-6, 2 runs, 2B
* LF Chuck Taylor: 2-6, run, RBI
* 2B Chris Mariscal: 2-5, 2 runs, 2B, HR, 6 RBI
* C Joe DeCarlo: 3-5, run
* LHP Anthony Misiewicz: Win, 5.2 IP, 10 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 5 K
The Travs look to keep in rolling in game two of the series on Tuesday night. RHP Andrew Moore (2-1, 2.89) takes the ball opposed by LHP Foster Griffin (2-4, 4.25). First pitch in Springdale is set for 7:05 and the game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.