Springdale, AR-The Arkansas Travelers staved off a sweep with an 11-1 victory over the Northwest Arkansas Naturals on Wednesday night. The victory keeps the Travs 4.5 games ahead of Tulsa in the first half division race with 11 games to play with a magic number of 7. Darren McCaughan delivered his fourth consecutive quality start matching a season best with seven innings. He allowed just one run on seven hits with a walk and seven strikeouts and retired the final 11 batters he faced. Offensively, the Travs had three multi-run innings capped by a five run seventh. Arkansas hitters combined for six extra base hits (three doubles, two triples and a homer) to match a season-high.
Moments That Mattered
* McCaughan struck out a pair with two on to end the fourth and preserve a one-run lead.
* Jake Fraley beat out a chopper to the second baseman with two out in the fifth to score a run. Kyle Lewis then followed with a line drive two-run double pushing the lead to four.
Notable Travs Performances
* CF Kyle Lewis: 2-3, 2 BB, 3 runs, 2B, HR, 3 RBI
* LF Dom Thompson-Williams: 2-4, 2 runs, 2 2B, RBI
* 2B Jordan Cowan: 2-4, 2 RBI
* RHP Darren McCaughan: Win, 7 IP, 7 H, R, BB, 7 K
News and Notes
* McCaughan and Zac Grotz combined to retire the final 17 Naturals batters of the night.
* Fraley stretched his hitting streak to 11 by going 1-4.
* RHP Sam Delaplane was promoted to Arkansas from Class-A Modesto. He ranked fourth in the California League in strikeouts.
The roadtrip continues as the Travs open an important four game series in Tulsa against the second place Drillers on Thursday night. Right-hander Nabil Crismatt (1-4, 2.95) takes the ball against righty Dustin May (2-4, 4.18). First pitch is at 7:05 and the game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.