North Little Rock, AR-Seth Mejias-Brean blasted a 3-run walk-off homer to send the Arkansas Travelers to a 9-6 victory over the Springfield Cardinals on Thursday night at Dickey-Stephens Park. The final score was the Travelers only lead of the game as they rallied from five runs down in the fifth inning. Mejias-Brean's winning blast with the first homerun for the Travelers in the month of May. Arkansas starter Andrew Moore lasted only three innings due in part to a first inning that saw him throw 42 pitches. That first frame also saw Springfield take the lead two hitters in on a two-run homer by Ramon Urias. The final three Trav pitchers of the night, including Dan Altavilla on a Major League Rehab Assignment, combined for four scoreless innings. Altavilla threw 15 pitches in a scoreless inning with two strikeouts.
Moments That Mattered
* Trailing by five runs, the Travs scored four in the fifth capped by a two run single from Dario Pizzano. It was his third hit in his first game back off the disabled list. The inning ended though with the tying run at third after a double play groundout.
* The Travs threatened in the seventh with a single and a double to put the tying and go-ahead runs in scoring position but failed to score. A strikeout and a line drive to right field with the runner at second doubled off ended the threat.
* Chuck Taylor would tie it in the eighth with a two out RBI single off Hector Mendoza but the go-ahead run was thrown at home on the hit by Randy Arozarena.
* Mejias-Brean's winning homer came with two out after a pair of walks put the winning run in scoring position. It was the first runs scored off Hector Mendoza in 15 innings this season.
Notable Travs Performances
* LF Chuck Taylor: 3-5, run, RBI
* DH Dario Pizzano: 3-5, 2B, 2 RBI
* 3B Seth Mejias-Brean: 2-5, 2 runs, HR, 3 RBI
* 2B Zach Shank: 3-4, 2 runs
The Travs and Cards will play a doubleheader on Friday night with the first game beginning at 5:10. Chase De Jong (2-2, 4.76) starts for the Travs in game one opposite Ryan Helsley (2-1, 5.93). It is a team photo giveaway for the first 1,000 fans. The games will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.