North Little Rock, AR-On a chilly night in Central Arkansas, the San Antonio Missions swept a doubleheader from the Arkansas Travelers by final scores of 6-2 and 5-3. Arkansas led early 1-0 in both games but could not hang on. Temperatures for the night started at around 40 degrees and dropped to 35 by the conclusion. Josh Naylor hit a pair of two-run homers for the Missions in the opener and then added two more hits including a double and three RBIs in game two. The Travelers stranded nine men on base in each game.
Moments That Mattered
- In game one, Braden Bishop opened the game with a leadoff homerun.
- Naylor's two homers came in the fifth and seventh innings to create late breathing room for the Missions.
- In game two, Arkansas had the tying run thrown out at the plate by San Antonio centerfielder Austin Bousfield for the second out of the sixth inning. Bousfield then made a sliding catch on a flare to shallow center by the next batter preventing the tying and go-ahead runs from scoring.
- The Travs put up a pair in the bottom of the seventh after three hits and a throwing error by the Missions. But with the winning run at the plate Dario Pizzano struck out and Joey Curletta flied out to end the game.
Notable Travs Performances
- LF/DH Chuck Taylor: 5-8, run, 2 BB; reached base in 5 of 8 plate appearances on the night
- SS Yonathan Mendoza: 1-2, run, BB, RBI
- LHP Anthony Misiewicz: L, 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, BB, 3 K, HR
Arkansas welcomes in the Corpus Christi Hooks for the opener of a three game set on Sunday afternoon. It is a Family Sunday with a church bulletin getting the whole family in for just $10 and an Operation Military Appreciation Day where a valid military ID gets $3 off at the box office. First pitch is set for 2:10 with RH Johendi Jiminian starting for the Travs against RH Akeem Bostick for the Hooks. The game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.