North Little Rock, AR-The Arkansas Travelers pitching staff authored their seventh shutout of the season on Independence Day, blanking the Springfield Cardinals, 2-0. Justus Sheffield fired seven shutout innings allowing just two hits and one walk while striking out five in a dominant performance. Jake Haberer worked a perfect eighth inning before Art Warren closed it out with a scoreless around a pair of walks. Both Haberer and Warren struck out two Cardinals.
Moments That Mattered
* Donnie Walton reached on a two-base error to open the game. With two out he came home on Kyle Lewis' hit to left field.
* Luis Liberato blasted a triple to right-center with one out in the second and then scored on the very next pitch as Mike Ahmed lifted a sacrifice fly to left.
Notable Travs Performances
* 3B Mike Ahmed: 2-2, SF, 2B, RBI
* LHP Justus Sheffield: Win, 7 IP, 2 H, BB, 5 K
* RHP Jake Haberer: IP, 2 K
* RHP Art Warren: Sv, IP, 2 BB, 2 K
News and Notes
* Evan White was held without a hit for only the second time in the last 29 games.
* It was the Travs seventh shutout of the season, sixth at home and first since June 8.
The series continues Friday night with right-hander Nabil Crismatt (2-5, 2.36) on the hill against righty Angel Rondon (3-0, 3.18). First pitch is at 7:10 and there are postgame fireworks. The game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.