North Little Rock, AR- The Arkansas Travelers (1-0) opened the 2018 season with a 3-1 victory over the San Antonio Missions (0-1) on Thursday night at Dickey-Stephens Park. Trav pitchers struck out 11 Missions and held San Antonio to just three hits on the night, two of which did not leave the infield. Arkansas notched just five hits but also drew seven walks from seven different players. Darin Gillies and Art Warren provided shutdown relief in support of starter Andrew Moore who took a no-decision for the second straight year on Opening Night.
Moments That Mattered
- Down a run with the bases loaded and two out in the fourth, Arkansas tied it when Joe DeCarlo who had doubled came home on a wild pitch.
- Seth Mejias-Brean, on his birthday, drove in the go-ahead run with a clutch two out RBI single. It was the Travs only hit in nine at-bats with a runner in scoring position.
- After Austin Allen's second inning homer, no Mission moved past first base. Darin Gillies caught a runner trying to steal to end the top of the sixth and Art Warren induced a double play to end the game.
Notable Travs Performances
- 3B Seth Mejias-Brean: 2-4, 3B, RBI
- RHP Andrew Moore: 5.2 IP, 2 H, R, BB, 7 K, HR
- RHP Darin Gillies: Win, 2.1 IP, BB, 4 K
Arkansas and San Antonio continue their series on Friday night at Dickey-Stephens Park. It is a Magnet Schedule Giveaway night with postgame fireworks. The Razorback football team will also be on hand to sign autographs from pregame through the third inning. First pitch is set for 7:10 with RH Chase De Jong starting for the Travs against LH Logan Allen. The game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.