North Little Rock, AR-The Arkansas Travelers pulled off a stunning doubleheader sweep of the Springfield Cardinals on Friday night, winning 2-1 in the first game and rallying for three runs in the final inning to capture a 4-3 walk-off win in the nightcap in front of 6,220 at Dickey-Stephens Park. In the opener, Chase De Jong and relievers Matt Tenuta and Matt Festa forced the Cardinals to strand 10 men on base. The winning run scored in the fifth inning when Zach Shank walked, moved to second on a bunt and then eventually came home on a pair of wild pitches. Game two saw Springfield score twice in the sixth inning to break a tie. But Arkansas would score three in the seventh, two on bases loaded walks as Jacob Evans and Hector Mendoza combined to walk four in a row. Joseph Odom then ended the night with a line drive single to centerfield scoring Chris Mariscal. The Travelers drew nine walks in the second game.
Moments That Mattered (Game 1)
* Chase De Jong struck out Victor Roache looking with the bases loaded to end the top of the fifth inning and keep the score tied.
* Protecting a one-run lead, Matt Festa got Roache to foul out to first to end the game and strand the tying and go-ahead runs.
Notable Travs Performances (Game 1)
* LF Chuck Taylor: 2-3, 2B
* 3B Seth Mejias-Brean: 2-3, 2B, RBI
* Chase De Jong: Win, 5 IP, 6 H, R, 3 BB, 5 K
Moments That Mattered (Game 2)
* Arkansas scored in the third on a Beau Amaral base hit but left the bases loaded after Zach Shank struck out looking to end the inning.
* With Springfield leading by two in the seventh, Braden Bishop threw out a runner at the plate to cut off a run and keep it a two-run game.
* With one out and Chuck Taylor on base in the bottom of the seventh, Landon Beck came on from the Cardinal bullpen and walked three consecutive batters forcing in a run. Beck was then ejected for arguing balls and strikes with home plate umpire Grant Conrad.
* Hector Mendoza was summoned from the bullpen and walked the first man he faced to tie the game. Joseph Odom then worked to a 3-2 count before lining the winning hit to centerfield.
Notable Travs Performances (Game 2)
* LF Chuck Taylor: 2-4, run
* 1B Joey Curletta: 1-2, run, 2 BB
Arkansas looks to make it four in a row over the Cardinals on Saturday night. Right-hander Johendi Jiminian (2-1, 1.99) takes the mound against righty Conner Greene (2-2, 4.08). First pitch is at 6:10 with gates opening at 5:10 for a t-shirt giveaway for the first 1,000 fans. The game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.