FRESNO, Calif. - "The Three Amigos are history!"
Sure, that's a quote from the movie right before Lucky Day (Steve Martin), Dusty Bottoms (Chevy Chase) and Ned Nederlander (Martin Short) are fired from their show, spurring them on to Mexico and their misunderstanding with "El Guapo." But it's also a true statement, and the Fresno Grizzlies will celebrate the lasting legacy of the cult-classic ¡Three Amigos! on Friday, July 22.
A plethora of fans are expected to attend that evening's game against the Albuquerque Isotopes. What's a plethora? You wouldn't say plethora without knowing what a plethora is, right Jefe? But with Friday Night Fireworks presented by Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino following the game, a near-capacity crowd is to be expected.
The Grizzlies will be donning mariachi-themed uniforms for the game, modeled after the Three Amigos' costumes from the film. The jerseys will be auctioned off following the game, and fans can bid on the jersey of their favorite player, or their favorite of the "25 Amigos," if you will. Proceeds from the jersey auction will benefit Centro La Familia Advocacy Services.
Fans should also be sure to stay in their seats during the 7th inning stretch for a special rendition of My Little Buttercup in the spirit of the legendary performance in the Mexican Cantina by the Three Amigos.
Every inning, whichever Grizzlies Amigo is on the mound will probably be saying about the Isotopes, "I like these guys, they are funny guys, just strikeout one of them." To which the 'Topes may respond, "Oh great, REAL baseballs!"
(If you're not familiar with the movie, you have until July 22 to check it out. Some of these quotes will be way funnier after you watch.)
OTHER SPECIALTY JERSEY AUCTIONS AT FRESNO GRIZZLIES GAMES THIS SEASON:
· April 16: "Championship Weekend" gold-trimmed jerseys commemorating the 2015 Pacific Coast League and Triple-A National Champions, benefiting the Fresno Grizzlies Community Fund.
· April 21: Throwback themed jerseys, beneficiary TBD.
· May 13: Friday the 13th -themed jersey benefiting Ronald McDonald House Charities on "Halfway to Halloween" Night.
· June 11: Pink Star Wars-themed jersey benefiting Susan G. Komen Central Valley, for breast cancer research. (Worn for Star Wars weekend.)
· June 24: Parker's Birthday jersey, benefiting Make-A-Wish Central California.
· August 18: Fresno Tacos jerseys, beneficiary TBD.
· August TBA: Military Appreciation jerseys will be auctioned off after the Grizzlies wear them on May 30 (Memorial Day), July 4 & 5 and August 13.
ABOUT THE FRESNO GRIZZLIES
The 2015 National Champion Fresno Grizzlies, Triple-A affiliate of the Houston Astros, are a member of the 16-team Pacific Coast League and are one of 30 teams in the world playing the highest level of Minor League Baseball. The 2015 season was one of historic proportions for the team and City of Fresno, as the Grizzlies secured their first-ever Pacific Coast League and Triple-A National Championships. Learn about 2016 ticket plans by calling the front office at 559.320.TIXS between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.