San Antonio, TX-Playing the first extra inning game in the Texas League with the new rules implemented for 2018, the Arkansas Travelers fell to the San Antonio Missions, 3-2 in 10 innings on Thursday night. Both teams led in the game but San Antonio held the Travs off the board in the top of the 10th inning before scoring their free runner from second without the aid of a base hit in the bottom of the 10th. Josh Naylor hit two homers for the Missions including what was scored as an inside-the-park homerun in the 1st inning. Naylor now has a pair of two-homer games against the Travs already this season. The teams combined to go 1-20 with runners in scoring position on the night. Chase De Jong delivered a quality start but did not factor in the decision for the Travs.
Moments That Mattered
- Adam Law doubled leading off the 5th, stole third and then scored on a sacrifice fly from Chris Mariscal.
- Law opened the 7th inning with a walk, stole second and then later scored on a double from Mariscal to give the Travs the lead.
- Josh Naylor tied it in the 8th with a 2 out homer to right-center off Scott Kuzminsky through the teeth of a strong wind.
- Braden Bishop was the runner at 2nd to open the 10th inning and moved to third on a flyout but was stranded there after a groundout and a strikeout.
- In the bottom of the 10th, San Antonio moved their runner to third with a bunt and then with one out scored when Chris Mariscal's throw home on a groundball was low and got away.
Notable Travs Performances
- SS Chris Mariscal: 1-2, 2 BB, 2B, 2 RBI
- 2B Adam Law: 1-3, 2 runs, BB, 2 SB
- Chase De Jong: 6 IP, 5 H, R, BB, 3 K
Arkansas and San Antonio play the middle game of their series on Friday night with a 7:05 start time. RH Johendi Jiminian (1-0, 0.00) take the ball for the Travs against LH Logan Allen (1-0, 1.80). The game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.