Springfield, MO-Dario Pizzano came up with a clutch two-run double off lefty reliever Jacob Evans to put the Travs on top and the Arkansas pitching staff shut down the Springfield Cardinals from there in a 5-1 series opening victory. The Travs did not get a hit until Seth Mejias-Brean's single with one out in the fifth but then scored in three of the final four innings including the pivotal three-run sixth inning. After getting the lead, three Traveler pitchers (Bryan Evans, Ryne Harper and Ryan Kelly) combined to retire the final 12 Cardinal hitters of the night.
Moments That Mattered
- Bryan Evans made a beautiful sliding stop on a slow roller up the third base line by speedy Magnueris Sierra and threw to first just in time to end the third inning with two runners aboard.
- Dario Pizzano greeted left-handed reliever Jacob Evans with a two-run double to put the Travs in front in the sixth inning.
- Tyler Marlette added two out RBI hit later in that inning to boost the lead.
Notable Travs Performances
- RF Chuck Taylor: 2-4, run, BB, 2 RBIs
- LF Dario Pizzano: 2-4, run, BB, 2B, 2 RBIs
- CF Willie Argo: 2-4, 2 runs, 2B
- RHP Bryan Evans: Win, 6 IP, 4 H, R, 2 BB, 7 K
- RHP Ryne Harper: 2 IP, 3 K
- RHP Ryan Kelly: IP, K
Arkansas continues the series at Springfield on Wednesday night with right-hander Lindsey Caughel (9-10, 4.07) on the mound against righty Zac Gallen (4-4, 3.72). First pitch is schedule for 6:30 and the game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.