- Schools sign up and provide the Emeralds with student numbers so the staff can put together teacher packets for each classroom.
- Sluggo and Emeralds staff come out to your school to put on an interactive assembly to build excitement for the program and reading (this step is subject to change due to COVID-19 restrictions and regulations).
- Participating teachers decide on a goal reasonable for their student's reading level: whether that be reading 10 books, 10 chapters or having 10 books read to them for the younger students.
- Students track their reading on the back of the Reading Challenge bookmark, provided by the Ems.
- At the end of the program, schools report back to the Emeralds with how many students completed the program.
- The Emeralds provide a voucher good for TWO FREE TICKETS to one of the Emeralds Reading Program Redemption games.
The Eugene Emeralds are strongly committed to providing programs that support students in the Emerald Valley. Sluggo's Home Run Reading Challenge, presented by Oregon Medical Group and Wildish, is an incentive-based program that is completely FREE for local schools and can be adapted to any grade level.
The program gives students a chance to earn FREE tickets to an Emeralds game. Participation is easy!
How It Works:
We want to thank all the schools, teachers, parents, Oregon Medical Group and Wildish for helping us continue this fantastic reading program. We hope this encourages you to read everyday so you can get those tickets and join us this Season at PK Park!
If you have any questions or would like more information about Sluggo's Home Run Reading Challenge, please contact Anne Culhane at [email protected].