Oswaldo Martinez has carved his name into the Daytona record book for the second time in as many weeks since joining the Cubs' Florida State League affiliate.
The 20-year-old right-hander combined with Mike Perconte on Daytona's second no-hitter in 13 days Friday night at Jackie Robinson Ballpark as the Cubs blanked the Clearwater Threshers, 3-0, in the second game of a doubleheader.
"Emotionally, I feel really great to participate in two no-hitters," said Martinez, who went 6-6 with a 4.97 ERA in 23 Mexican League appearances this season before making his debut with the Cubs earlier this month.
"I don't have words to describe this feeling right now."
Signed by the Cubs as a non-drafted free agent in 2006, Martinez retired two of the three batters he faced in Daytona's first no-hitter in 13 years -- a 4-0 whitewash of visiting Dunedin in the opener of a twinbill on Aug. 15.
The native of San Luis Potosi, Mexico, has yet to allow an earned run over 10 1/3 innings in four appearances with Daytona, but his latest performance was by far his best.
After retiring the first seven batters he faced, Martinez issued a one-out walk to Arlon Quiroz in the third. The 6-foot, 180-pound hurler bounced right back, getting Jorge Guerra to pop out before Cubs catcher Luis Flores gunned down Quiroz trying to steal second.
Javis Diaz walked leading off the fourth, but Jesus Villegas hit into a double play and Jonathan Wyatt grounded out to second, capping Martinez's longest outing with Daytona.
"Right now, I have confidence with my pitches and I'm throwing strikes," Martinez said. "In the Mexican League, I faced a lot of ex-big leaguers with great experience."
Perconte (1-1), who did not participate in Daytona's first no-hitter, certainly contributed to this one.
The 23-year-old right-hander worked around a two-out walk in the fifth, pitched a perfect sixth and overcame a throwing error by Flores in the seventh to cap the third no-hitter at Jackie Robinson Ballpark this season.
"It was so sweet," said the Naperville, Ill., native. "I don't think I've seen a no-hitter or been a part of one. It was awesome to be a part of this one, and to come out with a win is especially great."
Perconte put an exclamation point on the combined gem, fielding Derrick Mitchell's comebacker and firing to first for the final out as the crowd of 3,816 celebrated yet another historic achievement.
"I took a little extra time to throw it [to first base]," Perconte admitted. "It was awesome and I'm really happy."
Craig Muschko, Chris Siegfried, Martinez and David Cales combined on the Cubs' previous no-no.
Brevard County's Evan Anundsen struck out 10 during a nine-inning no-hitter at Daytona on April 28.
John Torenli is a contributor to MLB.com.