Storm Knocks Out Series Finale

August 9, 2009 5:27 PM ET

AUBURN, NY- The rubber match was set between the Auburn Doubledays and the Aberdeen IronBirds if only the weather would cooperate. The early weather report had rain in the early evening and true to form it rained hard and often in the afternoon. The sky cleared and the sun came out in the few hours leading up to the game and there was hope the game would be played. The lineups were introduced and the pre-game ceremonies were concluded. Dave Sever was slated to start the rubber match but when the rain came he had already warmed up and then cooled down during the delay. Dennis Holmberg, Auburn manager decided to go with the righty Josh Wells who had just been activated off the DL today.

In the top of the first second baseman Buck Britton reached on, you guessed it, a fielding error by second baseman Ryan Schimf, the 84th error the Doubledays have made this season. Ty Kelly came up next and whacked an RBI double to score Britton and put the 'Birds ahead 1-0.

Stephen Procner made his first start of the season for the IronBirds, his 15th appearance overall and with two out in the bottom of the first inning he gave up a single to Sean Ochinko, followed by a Welinton Ramirez RBI double and then an RBI single to Yan Gomes and just like that it was 2-1 Doubledays.

The IronBirds would strand Garabez Rosa on third base Steve and Bumbry on second base after consecutive hits with two out in second.

Procner appeared for his second inning of work and quickly surrendered a lead-off double to Brad Glenn. Procner would retire the next two batters but with two out Ryan Schimpf lined an RBI single to score Glenn and push the Doubleday lead to 3-1. The IronBirds would again strand a runner, Buck Britton on third base after he led off the third inning with a double.

The score stood at 3-1 Auburn as we headed to the bottom of third when the lightning began to strike. As Procner took his warm-up pitches the lightning began to strike with ever more frequency and eventually Doubledays manager Dennis Holmberg appeared from the dugout and started a conversation with both umpires and Aberdeen manager Gary Kendall. After including Auburn's General Manager Carl Gutelius the decision was made with lightning as the backdrop to send both teams into their respective clubhouses and wait out the delay.

After another lengthy delay the umpires re-emerged to talk with both Managers and finally after much deliberation the game was called.

It's now as if nothing happened, no statistics are recorded and no game ever took place between the Doubledays and the IronBirds.

Auburn's record will stay at 19-31, while the IronBirds stay at 22-28 and they head home after their 3-2 road trip, officially the first winning road trip of the season to take on Williamsport on Tuesday.

This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.

View More