The Birmingham Barons (19-26) produced 11 hits at the plate, but couldn't string together a big enough comeback as they fell to the Jackson Generals (27-18) 9-5 in the opener of their five-game series on Wednesday night at The Ballpark at Jackson. The loss is the Barons' sixth straight against
The Birmingham Barons (19-26) produced 11 hits at the plate, but couldn't string together a big enough comeback as they fell to the Jackson Generals (27-18) 9-5 in the opener of their five-game series on Wednesday night at The Ballpark at Jackson. The loss is the Barons' sixth straight against the Generals and 10th overall in their past 12 games.
- Turning Point: An early lead didn't last long for the Barons in the first inning. Matt Rose's RBI double put Birmingham up 1-0, but starter Matt Tomshaw (L, 0-2) couldn't hold the lead. A two-out bases-loaded double from Jason Morozowski found the left-field corner and scored three runs to give Jackson a 4-1 lead after one.
- Moments That Mattered: Whenever the Barons were able to chip away at the deficit, the Generals were quick to respond. Each team scored a pair of runs in the second before the Generals added a run in the fourth. In both the sixth and eighth inning, the teams traded runs as the score grew to 9-5 in favor of the home team.
- By the Numbers: At the plate, Nick Basto had his best night of the season, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored. Zack Collins was 1-for-3 with two walks and two runs scored, but also committed two throwing errors in the field to lead to Jackson runs.
- Facts and Figures: In his second start since being assigned to the Barons from Triple-A Charlotte on May 13, Tomshaw posted a nearly identical line to his first outing. He gave up 10 hits, including seven doubles, and seven runs for the second consecutive start with four strikeouts and two walks in his second straight loss.
- Up Next: The two sides continue their series with another 6:05 p.m. matchup on Thursday night. Dane Dunning (2-1, 3.38) looks to start on the mound for Birmingham while Jackson has yet to name a starter. Curt Bloom will have the call on 960 WERC News Radio and the iHeart Radio app.