About Chace Numata
Chace Numata was a switch-hitting catcher with the Erie SeaWolves, the Double-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers. He passed away during the 2019 baseball season at the age of 27. "Numi" played 10 professional seasons in the Phillies, Yankees and Tigers organizations and was a leader on and off the field. He was a talented baseball player and a world-class teammate. It didn't matter if you were a professional athlete or a young child, Chace made you feel welcome. His smile was contagious and unrelenting, and his fun-loving personality could light up any environment.
About the Scholarship
The SeaWolves Community Fund will award a minimum of four (4) $1,000 scholarships annually to senior student-athletes participating in varsity baseball or softball. Honorees will be selected based on their accomplishments, contributions to a team, and their positive impact on the lives of others.
All candidates must be nominated by a teacher or coach. The teacher or coach must provide a letter of recommendation describing the candidate's:
1. Positive impact on the lives of others.
2. Contributions to improving a team.
3. Accomplishments on and off the field.
4. Experiences or traits that make the candidate an exceptional scholarship nominee.
Student applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. College-bound senior currently attending high school and playing varsity baseball or varsity softball in Erie County, PA.
2. Must be attending a 4-year college or university in the fall of 2020; candidate is NOT required to participate in collegiate athletics.
3. Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
4. Demonstrate the value of being a good teammate and a kind, positive influence on others.
There will be no discrimination regardless of gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation. The selection committee will not base its decisions in any way on the employment status of an applicant or the employment status of the applicant's parents/guardians.
How to Apply
Applications must be postmarked no later than February 15, 2020 and should include the following:
- Completed application.
- Official high school transcript.
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a teacher or coach.
- An essay of 500 words or less explaining the experiences or traits that make the applicant an exceptional scholarship candidate.
Please remit applications to:
SeaWolves Community Fund
ATTN: Numata Scholarship
110 E. 10th Street, Erie, PA 16501
Questions may be directed here.
How You Can Get Involved
Those wishing to donate to the Chace Numata Scholarship can send checks payable to the SeaWolves Community Fund to:
SeaWolves Community Fund
ATTN: Numi Scholarship
110 E. 10th Street
Erie, PA 16501
Additionally, you can support the scholarship by purchasing a Chace Numata T-shirt with the hashtag #LiveLikeNumi on the back. All proceeds from shirt sales benefit the Chace Numata Scholarship