Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 l Game # 68 (136)
Bowling Green Ballpark l Bowling Green, Ky. l 7:35 p.m.
Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
Dayton Dragons (26-41, 57-78) at Bowling Green Hot Rods (41-26, 88-48)
RH Jared Solomon (0-1, 4.84) vs. RH Tommy Romero (11-4, 2.95)
Click here for today's complete Press Box Notes packet.
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Bowling Green Hot Rods (affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays) in the first game of a three-game series. This is the final series of the regular season for both teams.
Season Series: Bowling Green 12, Dayton 3. At Bowling Green: Hot Rods 5, Dragons 1. Current Series: First meeting.
Last Game: Friday: Dayton 7, West Michigan 5. In the final home game of the season for the Dragons, they broke a 5-5 tie with two runs in the bottom of the sixth inning and held on for the win. The Dayton bullpen had an excellent night, allowing just one run in five and two-thirds innings. The Dragons took advantage of six West Michigan errors leading to four unearned runs. Offensively, the Dragons collected 10 hits, led by Jeter Downs (2 hits, 2 RBI) and Leandro Santana (2 hits, run, RBI). Cory Thompson was credited with the victory after allowing one run in two and two-thirds innings.
2018 Team Notes
- The Dragons stole six bases in Friday night's game to match their season high. Their 11 steals in the series vs. West Michigan was their highest total for a series in the second half.
2018 Individual Notes
- Hendrik Clementina (DH) and John Ghyzel (RH Relief Pitcher) were selected to the Midwest League Full-Season All-Star Team (only 13 players selected among all 16 teams).
- Alejo Lopez over his last 41 games since July 15: 54 for 149, .362, to raise his average from .247 to .323. Lopez's .362 average since July 15 ranks first in the Midwest League; second among players on the 30 teams at the Single-A classification (Midwest League and South Atlantic League) and 11th among all full-season Minor League players (120 teams).
- Andy Sugilio over his last 23 games: 29 for 89, .326, 2 HR, to raise his average from .255 to .272.
- J.D. Williams over his last 19 games: 21 for 64, .328, to raise his average from .203 to .261.
- Jose Garcia has hit safely in 15 straight games, going 23 for 70, .329, to raise his average from .231 to .245. Garcia was selected as Midwest League Batter of the Week for the week of August 13-19.
- Dauri Moreta over his last five appearances: 12 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 0 R, 0 BB, 13 SO, 0.00 ERA.
Most Recent Transactions: Saturday: Pitcher Ryan Nutof has been promoted to Daytona. Thursday: Outfielders Lorenzo Cedrola and Raul Wallace have been placed on the disabled list. Outfielder Mike Spooner has been promoted to Dayton from Billings. Outfielder Nate Scantlin has been promoted to Dayton from Greeneville.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Sunday, Sept. 2 (7:35 p.m.): Dayton LH Packy Naughton (5-10, 4.17) at Bowling Green LH Resly Linares (7-3, 3.21)
Monday, Sept. 3 (1:05 p.m.): Dayton RH Austin Orewiler (5-5, 3.72) at Bowling Green RH Alex Valverde (7-7, 4.82)
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.