The longest … and most remarkable … hit streak in 42 years of professional baseball in West Texas came to an end Saturday, as D'Arby Myers saw his 33-game streak come to an end on an 0-for-4 night. Perspective:
- While records from the first 20-plus seasons of the franchise's history are "sketchy," there can be no doubt that D'Arby's was the longest streak in the franchise's history (dating back to the 1972 Cubs).
- The streak was just four shy of the all-time Texas League record (set by El Paso's Bobby Trevino in 1969) and this is a league which has beeN playing baseball since EIGHTEEN-eighty-eight (1888).
- D'Arby's 33-gamer topped the previous high streak in professional baseball in 2013 by six games (Boston's David Ortiz and Colorado's Michael Cuddyer had 27-game streaks).
- Before Saturday night (August 31), the last time D'Arby Myers did NOT have a hit was July 20. In the streak, which began July 21, D'Arby hit .357 (50-140), and raised his batting average by 30 points.
Some Good Things Don't Come To An End
Saturday's attendance was 5,496, pushing 2013 season attendance to 309,240 … a new all-time franchise record!
Kibbles & Bits
- Frisco took control of the game, slowly, over the course of the game, highlighted by Rougned Odor's two-run home run in the fifth. The 19-year-old second baseman is the latest in a string of Texas Rangers middle infield prospects, preceded by Elvis Andrus and Jurickson Profar (both of whom played for Frisco). Joe Benson and Ryan Rua also drove in two runs apiece for the RoughRiders.
- Jefry Marte was held hitless, but drew a walk, extending his on-base streak to 17 games. He has also hit in 15-of-those-17 contests, batting .426 (29-68). Over his last 25 games, the 'Hounds' third baseman is hitting .365 (35-96).
- Chad Oberacker has been red-hot, hitting in eight straight games (12-for-34, .353). In his last three games, "Obie" is 7-for-13 with two doubles, a home run and seven RBI. He stole two bases Friday, and has now swiped 17 bags while being caught just once.
- Josh Whitaker busted out of a 4-for-39 slump with four consecutive hits (two doubles and three RBI) Thursday, and is now 7-for-his-last-13 with four doubles and four RBI.
- Max Muncy has now hit in seven straight games (9-26, .346) and is 4-for-his-last-8 with two runs, two doubles, a triple and two RBI.
- Conner Crumbliss has now reached base in 45-of-49 games. He ranks 10th in the league with a .279 … is fourth in walks (67) and third in on-base percentage (.403).
- The RockHounds conclude the 2013 Texas League season, hosting the Frisco RoughRiders Sunday and Monday (Labor Day) afternoons. First pitch both days is at four o' o'clock.
WP: Richard Bleier (5-5, 3.18)
LP: Zach Neal (8-12, 4.35)
HR: Frisco - Rougned Odor (6) A 2-run HR in the 5th (off Zach Neal)
vs. Frisco RoughRiders (Texas Rangers' AA Affiliate)
Sunday, September 1 - 4:00 p.m. (Radio at 3:55 p.m.)
Frisco: (RH) Nick Martinez (1-0, 1.04)
RockHounds: (RH) Sean Murphy (8-7, 3.70)
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.