Saturday was "Umbrella Night" at Citibank Ballpark. Apparently, at least one patron who received the free goodie opened the darned thing indoors, which has long been considered bad luck (one of the criteria is if the umbrella in question was a gift).
Umbrellas or otherwise, the 'Hounds stumbled in the ninth, as San Antonio rallied with two runs to take a 4-3 win, evening the four-game series at a game apiece.
The RockHounds scored early, building a 3-0 lead on RBI from Jeremy Barfield and Dusty Coleman and five scoreless innings from Sean Murphy (see below).
The 'Hounds took a 3-2 lead into the ninth, when singles by Jake Blackwood and Anthony Contreras started the game-winning rally. A pair of RockHounds errors also proved costly, with one leading directly to a run scoring.
Kevin Quackenbush then set the 'Hounds down in order in the ninth for his second save, lowering his ERA to 0.93.
Kibbles & Bits
- Jake Goebbert extended the Texas League's longest hit streak in 2013 to 13 games, going 1-for-4 and scoring a run. In the 13-gamer, Jake is hitting .354 (17-for-48), with six doubles, three home runs, eight RBI and 11 runs scored.
- Jeremy Barfield saw a six-game hit streak end on an 0-for-3 night, but had an RBI on a sacrifice fly. Barfield is hitting .423 in his last seven games, with three home runs and six RBI.
- Anthony Aliotti, Jefry Marte and Dusty Coleman each had two hits for the RockHounds. Aliotti raised his average to .345, while Coleman is now 7-for-17 in his last three games with five RBI.
- Sean Murphy turned in his second solid start since joining the RockHounds to fill Arnold Leon's spot in the rotation (Arnold is sidelined with a blister on the middle finger of his pitching hand). Murphy tossed five scoreless innings to open the game, and finished with two runs (earned) on six hits, with one walk and six strikeouts. He left the game with a 3-2 lead.
- The 'Hounds now share the lead in the Texas League South Corpus Christi Hooks, who scored seven runs in the top of the first at Frisco Saturday and went on to shut out the RoughRiders, 11-0 (somebody must have opened an umbrella in Frisco, too)
- The RockHounds host San Antonio Sunday afternoon at 2:00 and Monday evening at 6:30 to conclude the home stand.
Line Score R H E LOB
San Antonio Missions 4 9 2 6
RockHounds 3 9 3 5
WP Jeff Ibarra (1-0, 6.10)
LP Kyler Newby (0-2, 2.03)
Sv Kevin Quackenbush (2, 0.93)
vs. San Antonio Missions (San Diego Padres' AA Affiliate)
Sunday, April 28 2:00 p.m. Radio at 1:55 p.m.
San Antonio (LH) Burch Smith (1-2, 1.71)
RockHounds (RH) Josh Bowman (2-0, 3.15)
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.