Jeremy Barfield homered for the third consecutive game. The kids loved it.
Darwin Perez homered for the second time this season. The RockHounds loved it.
With the game tied (5-5) in the last of the eighth … two runners on base … two out … the count full … and on the ninth pitch of the at bat) in the last of the eighth, Perez sent a three-run home run into the left field bullpen, lifting the 'Hounds to an 8-5 win over the Frisco RoughRiders.
The day game (11:00 a.m. start time) was the annual "Safety Awareness Day," with the RockHounds playing host to school kids from across the Permian Basin and West Texas (attendance was 5,463).
A three-run sixth inning put the RoughRiders on top, 5-3, with the RockHounds answering with a run, sparked by Dusty Coleman's double, in the home half of the inning. Barfield then came to the plate with the bases empty and two out in the seventh and hit his eighth home run of the season, and his third in as many games.
The win was the RockHounds' third in-a-row over the RoughRiders, and the 'Hounds did several things to (per our headline) "raise the bar:"
- The club got back to the .500 mark, snapping an eight-game losing streak Sunday afternoon and winning the next two as well.
- The series win (3-games-to-1) was the 'Hounds' first series win at home (1-3-1), with the overall home record now at 8-10 (8-6 on the road).
- The 'Hounds got key swings of the bat in "crunch time," with Chad Oberacker's ninth inning walk-off snapping the losing streak in Sunday's game, and the home runs from Barfield and Perez powering Tuesday's win (Barfield tied the game at 5-5 and Perez' shot won the game).
- The RockHounds committed just one error in the four-game home stand.
Corpus Christi and San Antonio meet in the Alamo City Tuesday night. The Hooks will enter that game leading Frisco by two-and-a-half games, the RockHounds by three-and-a-half, and the Missions by four.
Kibbles & Bits
- Anthony Aliotti went 3-for-5, pushing his league-leading average to .366. "Ali" has hit in five straight games, going 10-for-19 (.526) with four doubles, four runs, four RBI and three walks (on-base in 13-of-22 plate appearances).
- Jeremy Barfield homered for the third consecutive game (and third consecutive win). Correcting his total from yesterday's game wrap-up, Jeremy now has eight home runs and 18 RBI. He leads the RockHounds in both categories and ranks third in the Texas League in HR.
- Wednesday is a league-wide off day (number three of 12 for the season), with the RockHounds opening an eight-game road trip at San Antonio Thursday. The 'Hounds will play a four-game set against the Missions before traveling on to Frisco for a four-game series with the RoughRiders. Game time for the first three games at San Antonio is 7:05 p.m., with our radio broadcasts airing at 7.
Line Score R H E LOB
Frisco RoughRiders 5 9 0 7
RockHounds 8 14 0 8
WP Kyler Newby (2-3, 2.00)
LP Jimmy Reyes (0-1, 3.68)
Sv None (Reyes, BS)
HR RockHounds Jeremy Barfield (9) Solo in the 7th (off Jimmy Reyes)
RockHounds Darwin Perez (2) A 3-run HR in the 8th (off Jimmy Reyes)
vs. San Antonio Missions (San Diego Padres' AA Affiliate)
Thursday, May 9 7:05 p.m. Radio at 7:00 p.m.
Nelson Wolff Stadium San Antonio, TX
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.