The next time the RockHounds pack their bags, they'll be headed for home and the off-season (or "fall ball" in some cases). The 'Hounds completed their road schedule Monday night at Frisco and, while their bid for a sweep of the three-game series was denied, the club took two-of-three to wrap up the eight-day, seven-game swing.
Frisco defeated the RockHounds, 5-3, at Dr Pepper Ballpark, with a pair of solo home runs providing the final margin.
D'Arby Myers returned to the line-up after missing three games (ankle) and extended his hit streak to 29 games (see below).
Teodoro Martinez and Kalian Sams hit almost identical solo shots, each just clearing the fence in straightaway center field (410 feet) in the third and fourth innings, respectively. The RoughRiders later broke a 3-3 tie with single runs in the sixth and seventh to avoid a series sweep. Brett Nicholas drove in his Texas League-leading 88th and 89th runs for Frisco and Jefry Marte drove in two for the 'Hounds.
Kyle McClellan tossed two scoreless innings (three strikeouts) for the win and Lisalverto Bonilla was dominating, striking out six-of-seven batters in the eighth and ninth for the save, his fifth in as many opportunities.
Kibbles & Bits
- D'Arby Myers extended his hit streak of 29 consecutive games … the longest in professional baseball in 2013. The 'Hounds' center fielder went 1-for-4 and had what looked to be a bunt for a second hit taken away on a bare-handed grab and off-balance throw by Frisco third baseman Ryan Rua. In the 29-gamer, D'Arby is hitting .367 (44-120), and is fifth in the Texas League with a .289 average (former RockHound Anthony Aliotti leads the league at .350).
- After losing a 10-game hit streak Sunday, Jefry Marte went 1-for-3 with two runs batted in. He has now hit in 11-of-12 (and has reached base in 12 straight), going 21-47 (.447) in those 12 games. Over his last 21 games, the RockHounds' third baseman is hitting .360 (27-75).
- Conner Crumbliss (1-for-4, run, walk) has reached base in 41-of-his-last-44 games (48-159, .302). Conner has hits in 11-of-his-last-13 games (19-52, .365) and, despite playing in only 85 games (he opened the season at Triple-A), is fifth in the Texas League with 65 walks … third in on-base percentage (.412) … and is sixth in the league batting race at .288.
- Dusty Coleman has been called up to the (Triple-A) Sacramento RiverCats. In his second season with the RockHounds, Dusty was hitting .260 with three home runs and 61 RBI while playing in a league-leading 130 games. He is second in the league (behind teammate Chad Oberacker) with 10 triples … tied for second in the Texas League with 34 doubles … and third with 155 strikeouts.
- Teodoro Martinez homered in the third inning, his 13th of the season … his seventh against the RockHounds. A .243 hitter for the year, Martinez is hitting .323 against the 'Hounds, collecting 20-of-his-39 RBI in addition to his seven HR.
- The 'Hounds finished their final road trip of the season with a 3-4 mark. After dropping three-of-four at Corpus (the four games were decided by a total of five runs), the RockHounds took two-of-three against the RoughRiders in the Metroplex.
- The RockHounds now return to Citibank Ballpark to close the 2013 season with a seven-game homestand. The San Antonio Missions come to Rocky Town for a four-game series beginning Tuesday (6:30 p.m.), followed by a three-game set versus the Frisco RoughRiders Saturday, Sunday and Labor Day (Monday, September 2).
WP: Kyle McClellan (2-0, 3.24)
LP: Nate Long (2-2, 3.92)
SV: Lisalverto Bonilla (5, 0.32)
HR: Frisco - Teodoro Martinez (13) - Solo in the 3rd (off Zach Neal)
Frisco - Kalian Sams (13) - Solo in the 4th (off Zach Neal)
vs. San Antonio Missions (San Diego Padres' AA Affiliate)
Tuesday, August 27 - 6:30 p.m. (Radio at 6:15 p.m.)
San Antonio: (LH) Juan Oramas (1-2, 3.22)
RockHounds: (RH) Sean Murphy (8-6, 3.81)
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.