SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- The Springfield Cardinals (4-7) swept the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (4-7) by an 8-6 final Saturday at Hammons Field off the team's third walk-off win in four days.
The win pushed the Cardinals win streak to four games after an 0-7 start to the season on the road. The 4-0 home start ties the 2010 Cardinals for the best start to a home schedule in organization history. The 2010 Cardinals finished the season 76-64 and lost in the Texas League Semi-Finals.
W: RHP Merandy Gonzalez (1-1)
L: RHP Grant Gavin (2-1)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- 2B Irving Lopez started this series with a walk-off home run and he ended it with one on Sunday. Lopez's two-run shot came with one out in the bottom of the 10th with RF Scott Hurst at second.
- In the top of the 10th, Gonzalez kept the game tied 6-6 despite the Naturals placing runners on the corners with no outs. First, Gonzalez induced a Xavier Fernandez ground ball that ended with Meibrys Viloria being thrown out at third. That key play was followed by a shallow fly out to center and a strikeout to preserve the tie.
- The Naturals tied the game with three runs in the eighth off Cardinals RHP Will Latcham.
- RHP Anthony Shew went 5.0 full innings, striking out six for the second straight start and leaving the game in line for the win.
- Lopez's walk-off homer was his second walk-off home run in the four-game series and his third homer of the season. Lopez now has seven extra-base hits in just 34 Double-A at-bats.
- Rehabbing St. Louis Cardinals RHP Luke Gregerson tossed a scoreless 6th inning, striking out two and extending his Springfield Cardinals scoreless innings streak to 21.0.
- 1B Evan Mendoza extended his hit streak to six games with a 1-for-4 day, scoring twice.
- The sweep is the first for the Cardinals at home over the Naturals since July 15-18, 2018.
COMING UP MONDAY AT HAMMONS!
- The Cardinals open a three-game series with the defending Texas League champion Tulsa Drillers (Dodgers). First pitch Monday night is set for 6:30pm with gates opening at 5:30pm.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.